[governance] Preliminary List of Nominees for the 2013 MAG - REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Wed Jan 16 07:51:51 EST 2013

Dear all

On the'controversial' MAG meeting that took place in Baku...

If it was the meeting that I attended, for some of the time anyway, it
was not really controversial and yes, Izumi did report on it.

There was some discussion in the MAG list after the meeting about the
formal legitimacy of the meeting and the validity of recommendations it
made.

Some MAG members put forward a position to say that as the meeting was
not formally constituted, or called in good time, its recommendations
regarding the chairing of the MAGshould be seen as informal.

When Izumi called the meeting he made it clear it would be informal, so
this was not really controversial. I think it is a pity that the rest of
the MAG did not accept that 'informal' meetings proposals with regard to
having an interim chair, and co-chairs, but I would not really call this
controversial.

This is not to say that the issue of identifying a chair for the MAG is
without controversy :)

But then again there might have been some other MAG meeting in Baku,
that was really controversial, that I do now know about :)

What this allaffirms frommy perspective is that MAG working
proceduresare still quite open and unclear, and the absence of the
special advisor is felt quite strongly.  Someof us are still very new (I
only joined in May 2012as did Bill Drake, Lillian, Judy and others) but
even for those CS members that have been around for a while I think that
getting to grips with being effective in the MAG is not easy.

I am not opposing rotation, it is very important, but please also do
give those CS people that are active in the MAG time to strengthen our
participation and effectiveness.

Best

Anriette

anriette esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
executive director, association for progressive communications
www.apc.org
po box 29755, melville 2109
south africa
tel/fax +27 11 726 1692