[governance] Notice to the IGC on Proposed Charter Amendments

Imran Ahmed Shah ias_pk at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 04:53:17 EST 2013

Dear
All,
With
reference to the recently proposed amendment for the Voting Options by adding
"Abstain", whereas the abstention traditionally used for an active
& protest gesture and beneficial
for the sake of protesting against the system or candidates.
I have some reservations to use one
"Abstain" option for the coordinators elections where the candidate
offers contribution to serve CS voluntarily.
I think that due to fear of abstention
(protesting votes), that will reduce the fair participation and voluntarily contributions
in the IGC CS progressive activities.
So, there are three options, if the abstention
vote is required..:
a.     to protest against all of
the voluntarily candidates, (with apology), why the preferred candidate was not
nominated (or self-nomination submitted) for the election? So, being a member
of the caucus it is our prime responsibility to either nominate our best
candidate or submit self-nomination, upon any call for the nominations. If the
candidate(s) are more than one, should elect one of them through election.
b.     for protesting against
the system, when we are going to edit the charter and amendment process is on
the way, it is right time to suggest the better system for the election and to
manage the activities involved in it.
c.     for the membership
status, to remain a qualified and voting member (as otherwise, charter restrict
to vote in the next election), it is better either to rephrase the text and
rule defined in the charter, or if it is still mandatory to have the abstention
option (for the reasons of a+b+c), it is proposed to also add the option for
Blank Vote; that mean you have used your right to vote but not against the
system or candidate, and still remain as a voting member.