[governance] European Commission on Google Investigation Was Google Survives US FTC Probe #FTC #EC #Google #competition

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Sat Jan 12 07:20:55 EST 2013

Sala <salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sometimes, there is no smoke without fire. The fact that both the FTC
> and the EC were both querying this at more or less the same time
> means that someone or some people or organisations have raised this
> as an issue.

What I know is that Microsoft has been pushing for these
investigations, and my impression (based to a large extent on
interactions with Microsoft people) was that this was mainly motivated
by envy about Google's success and about Google having a better
reputation than Microsoft.

That said, even if I'm right that the *motivation* for the complaints
was envy rather than a substantial perception of wrongdoing, the
complaints might still have merit. It just means in that this case, the
smoke should not be taken as evidence for the existence of a fire. In
forming our opinion of the matter, we need to be careful to avoid being
unduly influenced by either side's rhetorics or money.

Greetings,
Norbert