[governance] 2013 Preparations for MAG

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Tue Jan 8 22:29:33 EST 2013

On 09/01/2013, at 2:03 AM, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:

> Does the text below:
>
> • Criteria should include suitability of location -conference
> facilities, wifi access, open environment that enables discourse;
>
> Include the lack of Free Expression such as the problem we had in Baku
> with the Secretariat being forced by the Host country to stop the
> distribution of certain kinds of printed matter.  If so, we might want
> to be more explicit.  We do not want a repeat of Baku this year.

It wasn't the host country's doing, from what I understood, but the
Secretariat proactively removing material.  But maybe you are closer to
it than I was and might know better.  In any case, I strongly agree.
Chengatai gave me a personal commitment to provide a transparent written
disclosure for all IGF participants of the rules that apply to
distribution of material at the IGF.  So far we still haven't seen this.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

*Your rights, our mission – download CI's Strategy
2015:* http://consint.info/RightsMission

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/> | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
<http://www.facebook.com/consumersinternational>