[governance] 2013 Preparations for MAG

Ginger Paque ginger at paque.net
Tue Jan 8 12:12:36 EST 2013

 I support Avri and Adam's suggestion that we see if there is consensus to
support the re-nomination of those we  (the IGC) endorsed and who were
chosen for the MAG in 2012. However, I do think we should limit the
endorsement to those who re-nominate themselves, request the endorsement,
and give a one-paragraph summary of their current intentions for the IGF
process.

This is a very important subject to address, and there is little time for
the process. The IGC endorsement of MAG nominees is, in my opinion, a very
important function of the IGC, which should have strong implications for IG
and for the IGF if we choose well. In so short a time, I think it will be
impossible to develop a perfect system, and we will be lucky to find one
that is 'good enough'.

Diplo is also seeking qualified MAG nominees and community consensus in an
effort to encourage more widespread input into the MAG nomination process.
Our announcement and invitation is pasted below. We encourage IGC and other
nominees to join this process as well.

Best regards,
Ginger

*Dear friends and colleagues,

I wish you all a healthy and happy 2013, full of hope and the energy and
inspiration to engage in Internet governance (IG). With the global events
of last year, there is no doubt that the follow-up needs serious
involvement by all stakeholders to maximise the resources and benefits
afforded by a well-governed Internet. Many questions have been raised, few
have been answered.

DiploFoundation does not do advocacy work in IG; we work to strengthen
informed multistakeholder participation, particularly from underrepresented
groups and regions. This year, we again ask you to join us in supporting
all stakeholder voices. One way to do this is to be involved in the
selection of the Internet Governance Forum Multistakeholder Advisory Group
(IGF MAG).

UN Under-Secretary-General Mr Wu Hongbo has called for the submission of
names of nominees for the renewed MAG. Full information can be found at
http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/component/content/article/121-preparatory-process/1264-announcement-on-the-mag
-

Once again, we ask that you put your capability to use. If so inclined,
volunteer to represent your countries and your communities; countries and
communities that need more inclusive, multistakeholder global Internet
governance. If you cannot serve yourself, please join in this process to
encourage appropriate qualified people to step forward. After a short
self-nomination period, we will ask this community to vote for candidates,
and to vote whether to make a blanket recommendation to support those
current MAG members who are eligible to, and willing to, serve again.

Please note: current MAG members who are interested in continuing in the
MAG are requested to re-nominate themselves to ensure their inclusion for
consideration.

Practically speaking, we want to encourage you to apply for a position on
the IGF MAG if it is appropriate for you to do so. The deadline is short
(20 January 2013), but we will again accelerate the process through an open
call for inclusive governance. Here is the process:

1. Your application

You are asked to submit your own application to the IGF secretariat,
including a short biographical background, and the reasons why you think
that you can contribute to the MAG, whom you can represent (in terms of
communities, ideas, projects), and what you would like to achieve.
Self-nomination is important: it indicates willingness and self-confidence;
 it has great legitimacy; and it is free from pressure, in the true spirit
of volunteerism.  If you have not already done so, you must submit your
nomination by e-mail to magrenewal2013 at intgovforum.org using this submission
template <http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/2012/MAG%202013%20template%20.rtf>(also
available from the IGF Secretariat’s website).

You are also asked to complete the information at the bottom of this
message, and post as a blog post
<http://www.diplointernetgovernance.org/profiles/blog/new>on Diplo’s IG
social community at
www.diplointernetgovernance.org.<http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/component/content/article/926-mag-renewal->

2. Community consensus

All nominations posted on the community blog by midnight on 15 January,
will be included in the Diplo poll which will open on January 16, following
procedures to be posted soon.

The entire Diplo community is encouraged to participate, to ensure the most
complete community consensus possible.. Voting will close at midnight GMT
on 19 January.The Diplo community results will be posted on the main blog
at www.diplointernetgovernance.org (here) and sent to UN DESA on 20
January.

3. Final Diplo community recommendations (endorsements) will be calculated
using the following criteria:

50% - results of poll
10% - experience in IG global policy processes, including efforts such as
APC, IGC, Diplo discussions, regional work and other work. Please describe
these activities in your post
10% - representation from least developed countries
10% - representation from small island states
10% - representation from countries never before represented on the MAG
10% - gender (to support gender balance and more women on the MAG)

4. Final list of five candidates

We will send a final list of five candidates to the UN DESA, with the Diplo
community’s recommendation/endorsement. This is independent of the possible
endorsement of previous MAG members.

Important: If you are selected, you will represent your organisation and
your country. You will not represent Diplo. Diplo's role is simply to
facilitate a more inclusive selection for the MAG.

5. Information to be posted:

Full name:

Gender:

Nationality:

Country of residence:

Stakeholder group:

Background and/or experience in IG (50 words):

Motivation and goals (50 words):

Note:
Nominees must have experience in previous WSIS/IGF processes, and have
sufficient time to dedicate to duties as a MAG member. Several meetings
will be held before the IGF 2013 in Bali. Discussions take place by e-mail
during the whole year of tenure, and nominees must have time available to
attend to this volume of discussions promptly.

If you have any suggestions, feedback, or questions, please post them to
www.diplointernetgovernance.org, or e-mail me at virginiap at diplomacy.edu.

Good luck to all!

Warm wishes,
Ginger