[governance] FW: [IP] Google's Lawyers Work Behind the Scenes to Carry the Day - NYTimes.com

Guru गुरु Guru at ITforChange.net
Tue Jan 8 01:40:59 EST 2013

On 01/08/2013 01:43 AM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> Pariser's "filter bubble" thesis has very little scientific grounding.
> It is one of those things that has acquired credibility primarily
> through repetition, and the fact that some people always badly want to
> believe that "the media" are manipulating us.

I think the point of how Internet could have been to be a space to build
bridging capital and how the 'personalisation' process will erode is
something we need to ponder over. Can you elaborate on why you think
"thesis has very little scientific grounding." i assume you are talking
of social sciences here...

also do you really believe that there is no element of manipulation in
the media? that this is just what "people always badly want to believe"
(perhaps weapons of mass destruction were indeed found in Iraq ...)

> I recall seeing him on a television program when his claim was put to
> the test and they conducted searches using two different accounts and
> got virtually the same results. He was embarrassed.

otoh I am embarassed that you think a sole case like this can disprove
the point!
The article quotes Google as saying the search algorithm uses  57
signals about the user to provide personalised results, so you think all
this is in vain?

> On the other hand, I was quite grateful this morning when using a
> generic professional term to search for an office and discovering that
> the search had been limited to Syracuse area.
>
> Guru, if you get badly personalized results from Google without asking
> for it, what is to stop you from not using Google?

That the only action I can take to address this is by walking away is a
naive response ... the issue is not of one individual user not using
google. the issue is given the market dominance of google search engine,
the terms of engagement are so biased in favor of one party that it is a
joke to assume contractual law (clicking the i agree button or not
clicking it) will solve the problem.