[governance] Civic Society Membership on MAG -Toward a Joint-Board

Imran Ahmed Shah ias_pk at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 7 17:12:21 EST 2013

Dear Friends at IGC CS
With reference to the discussion related to the selection of MAG, review and suggestions are as follows:

MAG 2013 selection process:
I would suggest the coordinators to start the collection of Nominations with them.

I would suggest that list of IGC Nomination should not be limited to the number of

But we should nominate few members from each of the stakeholder groups:
Governments,
The Private Sector,
Civil Society, and
Technical Community
And to cover the 5 Regions for each group (to have a balance among all stakeholder groups), while retaining regional and gender representation,
For this purpose, our list must be large enough for the secondary selection.

Nomcom:
According to the objection by Avri, the Nomcom has to be revised. She knocked at the door of Appeal Team, but according to coordinators Appeal Team also have to be revised. Nomcom Chair has also be revised.

Well, I have two questions:
1. in this situation what is the validity of the Nomination and if any objection arises on the selection, what will be the Appeal Team?

2. Do we have sufficient time to Call for Volunteers, select them for new NomCom & Appeal Team, and then nomcom start selection of Nomination List, reviewed it by Chair, endorse it by members and if no objection is filed, submit to UN-DESA?

No, I do not think so, either we have to skip the nomination for MAG 2013 or have to re-validate the current NomCom.

Joint-Board:
As I remember IGC NomCom & Coordinators did not endorsed APC list last year for MAG 2012, and perhaps same case for this year because the NomCom select the Internal IGC Nominations. IGC CS has the membership of individuals or representatives of other CS or Multi Stakeholder Groups, but do not have the mechanism of membership of other Civil Societies or organisations. So, NomCom may not be able to prepare two list one from Internal Members and other one from External body. If required, the provision in the Charter will be required. However, if APC or any other CS being a member of IGC submit a list of multiple names which also belong to IGC, nomcom may have to consider in its final list of nomination.

Even, if a few CS groups along with IGC makes a Joint Board, IGC might be able to provide one or two board members only. The lists of candidates will be coming from different Groups and the Joint Board will again finalise single list for UN-DESA. But what is the criteria of the selection at DESA, it is not open.

All of the IGC nominees were not selected for MAG 2012, because IGC nomination list was not only list with UN-DESA.  Now for 2013, they initiated open call but how they select/ choose the candidate for MAG, it is not mentioned anywhere.

Yes, if the UN-DESA for a Joint-Board, an open and transparent process for the selection of MAG members, that will be a very good idea and we should support by providing our selected members for the Joint-Board. UNDESA Joint-Board will have worth as the central body to select the MAG members every year.

As now, we do not know that who will

Now as the time is very limited, I would request the coordinators to initiate the some quick process for finalising the nomcom+chair+appeal team.

Thanks and Regards

Imran Ahmed Shah
for IGFPak