[governance] UK - DVLA: Seven staff suspended for posting "inappropriate" Facebook comments

Avri Doria avri at ella.com
Thu Jan 3 15:35:38 EST 2013

Hi,

Happy New Year to you.

> "Come on, use the opportunity to educate yourself by research the acronyms!"

That is close to the advice I would give them.    Though It might look more like:

"Come on, participate, even though you will occasionally have to research an acronym or something else you never heard of before."

To be dependent on others for acronym help is to be helpless in this environment.  It is a mental barrier people need to get over.  And the helpless messages about "whatever someone could mean by XYZ", really don't help as they enable acronym dependency, a sever Ig debilitative syndrome.  Additionally the messages would produce answers that are too late for the reader, no matter how quickly the response is sent in.

Sure, I prefer the writing of people who do spell a name on first use.  But even when I have done so, I have had people yell at me for not explaining it again on a later page.

And at what point do you start to beleive the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Aumbers is more confusing than ICANN?

Finally sometimes an acronym is really just the name of something and even people who live within that organization don't know or care about the spelling out.  Sometime it really does not matter what it means and that bit of knowledge-thirst can be left in abeyance.  I ask myself 'do I really need to know what every acronym means'?

avri
1/3

support wikipedia, someone has to provide the first clue to all answers.