[governance] The US Department of Justice and USPTO call for compulsory licenses on thousands of "standards-essential" patents

Guru गुरु Guru at ITforChange.net
Thu Feb 28 00:49:17 EST 2013

On 02/27/2013 07:47 PM, GTW wrote:
> Congratulations and thanks  to Jamie for bringing the matter of
> licensing patents essential to practice a standard to the attention of
> this list. This topic indeed has global implications.   However IMO it
> is not at all  clear what are proper and helpful  roles of government
> intervention to address problems that  arise.   I  prefer  private
> sector market based solutions over  government interventions with
> their attendant many  unforeseen  and unanticipated consequences.

George

You mean that Government interventions are attendant with many "many
unforeseen  and unanticipated consequences. "

while (unregulated) private sector market based solutions have entirely
anticipated consequences ....  like the derivatives disaster, from which
the world is still trying to recover.

(though it  is understandable why a private sector representative whose
work typically is "representing US business interests to national and
international organizations;...+" would want a laissez faire situation
Sometimes I think we have too much of US business representation :-)
here....

But worse than either nightmare - state control or private sector
control .... would be an unholy alliance between the two where the lines
between the two get increasingly blurred (as is many times the case with
US Govt. and US based trans-nationals)... see "The Revolving Door Spins
from Sea to Shining Sea" for one reason why this blurring is happening
http://www.nationofchange.org/revolving-door-spins-sea-shining-sea-1361976538

regards
Guru
+ http://gtwassociates.com/gtw/index.htm