[governance] scope of "Internet governance" (was Re: Fwd: Why do US and EU trade negotiators hate the Berne Copyright Limitations and Exceptions?)

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 16:51:09 EST 2013

Michael,

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com>wrote:

<snip>

I have yet to find anything on FB that is "necessary".****

> *[MG>] I think the example that is generally used is that Ghana first
> announced its election results on FB… what consequences followed from that
> (if any) I'm not sure of, but one could imagine how that kind of practice
> would lead to services/functions that in some contexts are "necessary". *

I disagree.  Posting results on FB and only FB would be a disservice to the
citizenry.  As one of many outlets, I think it is fine.

Posting the results on the Internet (on the Election Commission website or
official government website) is useful, but that doesn't make a case for
global regulation of the network by all Electoral Commissions.

> * If mPesa is providing the only *

mPesa is one of many, it's not the only.

> *"banking" service available for vast numbers of the population of Kenya
> or wherever, presumably the service can be seen as a "necessary" one and
> thus subject to some sort of regulation.*

mPesa and other mobile money services are heavily regulated in KE and
elsewhere in Africa.  I have no quibble with this at all.  I just don't
think we need a CIRP (or something like it) to regulate activity on the
Internet.

<snip>

At that point, there would need to be a discussion why these "necessary
services are on FB and not in the public domain.

> *[MG>] that's a good question and one worth addressing… the idea of a
> global public domain email service has been mooted from time to time (and I
> believe something of that sort was established in Sweden through the postal
> service… As you well know, there are pro's and con's for this… My point
> though is to simply say that these kinds of matters (and including "private
> services") need to be examined through a public interest lens.*

I remain unconvinced that there is need of a global CIRP-like body.

--
Cheers,

McTim