[governance] NomCom: Chair's resignation; request for advice

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Feb 19 08:31:37 EST 2013

[with IGC Coordinator hat on]

Gurumurthy Kasinathan (Guru), the non-voting chair of the NomCom for the
CSTD WG on Enhanced Cooperation, has just informed us as follows:

  "I have been informed today by Parminder Jeet Singh, who is my
  colleague in IT for Change, that he intends to submit his candidature
  to the nomcom for the CSTD WG on EC. When I offered to be the
  non-voting chair of the Nomcom, this decision of his was not clear.
  However, now that I am aware of his intention, I would like to step
  down as the non-voting chair. Even though the non-voting chair only
  guides the processes and does not get into the substantive selection
  processes, it would be best for nomcom members, if I was not the
  chair."

On behalf of the Caucus I would like to hereby thank Guru for the work
done so far, and of course we respect his decision and appreciate his
concerns for the integrity of the process and the credibility of the
outcome of the NomCom's work.

The charter says:

  "A non voting chair will be appointed by the coordinators for each
  nomcom with the advice of the IGC membership. In order to serve as a
  chair, it is recommended that a person has served in at least one
  nomcom previously."

Therefore please give your advice on who should be appointed non-voting
chair for this NomCom as Guru's successor.

Im view of communication challenges that have already been encountered
by this NomCom, it may be best if the new non-voting chair has good
communication skills in Spanish as well as in English.

Greetings,
Norbert