[governance] Charter Amendment Poll

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Feb 18 16:00:19 EST 2013

Avri Doria <avri at ella.com> wrote:

> On 18 Feb 2013, at 13:45, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro wrote:
>
> > On the issue of reminders, the role of the Coordinators is to
> > merely facilitate the process, every person on the list, member and
> > subscriber were sent their electronic voting papers. There was
> > substantial discussion on the list and it should have been
> > sufficient for people to be aware that there was a vote underway.
>
> Ouch!

I'm in strong agreement with Avri here.

It's been a really big ouch.

And it's my fault. I had been in charge of the specifics of setting
this up, with the kind assistance of Jeremy, and I really regret not
having arranged for sufficient reminders etc to give the charter
amendment proposals a reasonable chance to clear the really high
hurdle of that quorum.

But as Sala has explained, not having done this is not really
sufficient justification for extending the poll, nor for declaring the
poll invalid and starting over.

If there had been consensus in the Caucus to re-open the poll (as
determined e.g. by a formal consensus call with a reasonably long
deadline, of say a week), it would have been my preference to do that,
and I'd have liked to also use the "send reminder" feature of the
polling software, etc.

But it has in the meantime become clear even without a formal consensus
call that we don't have such a consensus.

So Sala and I have come to the conclusion that we really don't see any
valid alternative to declaring the proposals failed.

At least the charter makes clear that charter amendment proposals can
be made at any time. "At any time" includes just after an identical
amendment proposal has failed due to too many distractions and
insufficient reminding.

Again sorry about the ouch!

Greetings,
Norbert