[governance] Note on Composition and Guidelines for the CSTD working group on enhanced cooperation

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Mon Feb 18 10:00:31 EST 2013

Dear IGC members

Thanks for alerting me to this Jeremy. I was not aware of being assigned
this role. I was travelling so am not up to date with checking my mail.

After seeing this thread, I checked, and there was a general note sent
to CSTD members and regular participants (e.g Marilia,Parminder and
myself as well as some others from civil society). I

Attached is the note from the CSTD chairperson that explains the process.

The note actually emphasises that being identified as a focal point does
not assume selectionas a WG member.  Here is what it says:

"Designation as focal points does not imply selection of the focal
points as members of the
CSTD Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation.
The role of the focal points is to assist the CSTD Chair in reaching out
to the interested parties
in their respective regional or stakeholder groups and to facilitate
consultations regarding
which CSTD Member States and stakeholder group representatives would
like to be submitted
for consideration by the Chair of the CSTD, in accordance with the
proposed composition of
the Working Group (four per regional group plus the two WSIS hosts, and
five per other
stakeholder groups).
The focal points will convey to the Chair of the CSTD the results of the
consultations.
The Chair of the CSTD will make decisions and announce the final
composition of the Working
Group, as requested by the General Assembly in resolution 67/195,
paragraph 21."

Good that the time frame coincides with the IGC process.

Jeremy, I imagine that CSTD did not ask IGC to coordinate this process
so that it creates opportunity for CSOs or CSO networks outside of the
IGC to also nominate people to serve on the WG. I don't think you should
interpret this as a slight at all. I am sure that CSTD is well aware of
the fact that IGC is an important grouping and that it will put forward
a list of nominees.

Best

Anriette

anriette esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
executive director, association for progressive communications
www.apc.org
po box 29755, melville 2109
south africa
tel/fax +27 11 726 1692