[governance] ¿Quienes votaron?

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 13:30:49 EST 2013

I know that these issues are important and I'm pleased that some people are
paying considerable attention to them but they are not something in which I
have a lot of interest or wish to give much attention...

That being said in a context where there are specific thresholds for vote
numbers with potential sanctions/costs (in time/attention) if these are not
achieved; the responsible behaviour is for me to vote even if I haven't
given a lot of attention and don't really understand the issues or their
significance.

As an alternative, could I suggest that we consider what is coming to be
called "delegative/liquid democracy
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delegative_democracy> " in these instances.
Thus someone like myself, concerned that the IGC operates effectively and
within an appropriate "constitutional" framework, but who doesn't have the
time or interest to follow these matters directly would "delegate" someone
whose broad position on these matters I agree with (let's say Norbert) to
represent/vote for me in these areas.  He would retain my vote until I
withdrew it or until a designated period of time had elapsed.

In this way, I believe we could ensure that snafus of failure to achieve
specific threshholds such as we are currently experiencing (and as I recall
to have been recurrent during the life of the IGC) would be avoided while
overall deliberative democracy would have been retained.