[governance] Results of IGC Charter Amendment Poll

Imran Ahmed Shah ias_pk at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 16 22:33:14 EST 2013

Dear Shaila,
You review comments a very valid and important for the conflict
management of current situation.
a. Even if the "Jaago" or "Wake-up" call was
not initiated, the discussion of the survey poll and voting options were in the
discussion, so rare chance that someone missed to read it.
b.
I agree that there may be some "active members" who participated in
discussion, or in voting however, there are "some other members" who
are only "observers". But keeping in mind that Charter provisioning
and segregation of for the observer who just affirm their membership when a
voting poll is circulated, but the voting for amendment is only related to the
Voters of the last election.
c. Have any one observed any complaint from
the voting members that s/he missed to cast vote in given the time period?, if
yes, how many they are? In this case, IGC Coordinators may be requested to find
out the actual reason and to compensate them.
Regards
Imran
Ahmed Shah

>________________________________

 had enough responses. (I would feel differently if on any of the
>> ballots the no votes were roughly equivalent to the yes votes)
>>
>> So I would suggest re-opening the ballot to allow those who havent voted to
>> do so – accompanied by encouragement and reminders.
>>
>> Ian

 votes.

>> Option 2
>> Re-run the votes
>>

>> If we take Option 2, we run the risk of setting a precedent for extending
>> voting periods for other things that require voting including coordinator
>> elections. Should we consider the current votes invalid and cast fresh votes
>> or extend the votes.
>>
>> In any event, the current revisions to the Charter that are on the website
>> will be reversed to reflect what it originally was.
>>
>> For the sake of completeness, the record of the votes is as follows:

>> questions, as none of them were compulsory.
>>
>> On proposal 1, 70 voted in favour, 4 against, and 2 did not vote.
>> On proposal 2, 62 voted in favour, 5 against, and 9 did not vote.
>> On proposal 3, 71 voted in favour, 2 against, and 3 did not vote.
>> On
 proposal 4, 65 voted in favour, 3 against, and 8 did not vote.

>> Thank you and Kind Regards,
>> Sala
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sala, are you sure?
>>>
>>> The charter amendment process states that it is 2/3 of membership required
>>> for charter amendments, not 2/3 of those who bothered to vote. My
>>> understanding is that none of the votes result in charter amendments,
>>> because none of them had over 2/3 of members supporting. The relevant
>>> charter quote is below.
>>>

>>> Amendments to the Charter
>>>
>>> This charter can be amended at any time as proposed by no fewer than ten
>>> (10) members and as approved by no less than two-thirds (2/3) of the
 members
>>> of the IGC. The membership requirements for amending the charter are based
>>> on the most currently available voters list. In amending the charter,
>>> everyone who voted in the previous election will be deemed a member for
>>> amending the charter.
>>>

>>> (perhaps it should be different but it isn’t on my reading)
>>>

>>> Ian Peter

 Here are the results:

>>> questions, as none of them were compulsory.
>>>
>>> On proposal 1, 70 voted in favour, 4 against, and 2 did not vote.
>>> On proposal 2, 62 voted in favour, 5 against, and 9 did not vote.
>>> On proposal 3, 71 voted in favour, 2 against, and 3 did not vote.
>>> On proposal 4, 65 voted in favour, 3 against, and 8 did not vote.
>>>
>>> This means that all proposals pass with greater than 80% approval, which
>>> is excess of the 2/3 requirement.  The text of the amendments is found at
>>> http://igcaucus.org/formally-proposed-charter-amendments and the charter as
>>> amended is at http://igcaucus.org/charter and
>>> http://igcaucus.org/nomcom-process.
>>>
>>> I would also like to acknowledge and thank you all for your contributions,
>>> elaborate discussion and for taking the time to vote. Thank you to all those
>>> who proposed the amendments and initiated the process and to all those who
>>> took part. Special thanks also to Norbert for conducting the Poll and to
>>> Jeremy for helping out.
>>>
>>> With Kind Regards,
>>> Sala (on behalf of the Coordinators)
>>>

>>> --