[governance] caucus contribution, consultation and MAG meeting

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Feb 12 17:48:27 EST 2013

[with IGC Coordinator hat on]

See below for my current list of issues that we need to resolve, most
still open, one of them (Nick's comment on paragraph 12) I'll consider
closed as of this posting.

I'll hopefully get an answer tomorrow on whether we can get an
extension of the Feb 14 deadline. Depending on that answer I'll set
internal deadlines for
- providing a specific textual change suggestion for the comments
  marked "Please propose specific text.",
- proposing improved resolutions,
- formally objecting to proposed resolutions,
- formally objecting to the current draft text regarding points for
  which alternatives have been suggested.

The decision process is going to be:
- Where no specific textual change suggestion is made, the current text
  of our statement remains unchanged in that regard.
- If for any of the proposed resolutions given below, no-one objects,
  the text of our statement is adjusted accordingly.
- If for one of the proposed resolutions given below, someone objects
  to the proposed resolution, and also no other resolution is
  proposed in a timely manner, while no-one explicitly objects to the
  current draft text, the current text of our statement remains
  unchanged in that regard.
- If for any particular point, we end up having objections to all
  resolutions that have been put forward by the deadline for proposing
  improved resolutions, and also an objection to the current draft text
  regarding that point, as a last resort all text regard that point
  will be deleted from the statement. (If we had enough time, we could
  try to do a determination of rough consensus as allowed by the
  charter, but I think it's pretty clear that there isn't going to be
  enough time to do that in a reasonable manner.)

Greetings,
Norbert

All references are to http://www.igcaucus.org/digressit/archives/107

Paragraph 1
===========
Current text: "Here are the concerns and suggestions of the Civil
Society Internet Governance Caucus on IGF themes and format and the way
forward:"

Avri has commented: "I suggest that a paragragh be added about how these
comments were developed in a bottom-up manner. i.e a few words on the
process that was followed."

Proposed resolution: None yet. Please propose specific text. If no
specific proposal is made, by default no such additional paragraph will
be added.

Paragraph 2
===========
Current text: "A. Implementation of the recommendations of the WG on
IGF Improvements"

Avri has commented: "I think it is appropriate to talk about
addressing, but I do not think that the CSTD WG improvements should be
seen as commands. they are something that should be reviewed by the IGF
particiipants and those that get bottom-up support should be
implemented."

Proposed resolution: None yet. Please propose specific text. If no
specific proposal is made, by default no change will be made to
the draft text.

Paragraph 3
===========
Current text: "There has been a sense of impatience and great urgency
vis a vis the fact that IGF has really not addressed key global public
policy questions that it was created to contribute towards resolution
of. For too long it has remained caught in matters of process and form.
It is time to do what it really needed to do."

McTim has commented: "This seems to be overly editorial to me. What
does it “really need to do”?"

Proposed resolution: Delete the two final sentences of the paragraph,
resulting in: "There has been a sense of impatience and great urgency
vis a vis the fact that IGF has really not addressed key global public
policy questions that it was created to contribute towards resolution
of."

Paragraph 4
===========
Current text: "Especially the following recommendations of the WG on
IGF Improvements should be implemented immediately:"

Avri has commented: "I do not beleive the recommendations from the WG
on IGF should be implemented unless the bottom-up process of IGF itself
aproves the implementation of these. the MAG should review them and
should put out a call for consultations. After that consultation, then
the MAG should decide on what to implement and what not to implement."

Norbert Bollow has replied to Avri's comment: "I'm very uncomfortable
about thereby effectively giving the MAG authority to decide which of
the recommendations of the CSTD WG should be implemented."

Proposed resolution: None yet. Please propose specific text. If no
specific proposal is made, by default no change will be made to
the draft text.

Paragraph 10
============
Current text: "In the spirit of the above-cited recommendations, we
propose that the following policy question be taken up at the 2013 IGF:
“How to maintain net neutrality as the key architectural principle of
the global Internet, and what shall be the mechanisms and institutions
involved in this process?”

Avri has commented: "Why do we want to make an ill defined notion with
myriad different propaganda streams a major issue for the IGF. I do not
see it as a worthwhile direction for the IGF to take. We do not agree
on what NN means, how can it be a key architectural principle, more
that it already is?"

Norbert Bollow has replied to Avri's comment: "In my mind it is clear
enough what "net neutrality" means / should be understood to mean.
Some countries have passed NN legislation, in other countries such
legislation is proposed / under consideration. This would make this in
my eyes a key issue to be discussed at the IGF, and if indeed it is not
clear enough what NN means, it should be made a major objective to
develop a shared understanding."

Proposed resolution: None yet. Please propose specific text. If no
specific proposal is made, by default no change will be made to
the draft text.

Paragraph 12 / Nick's comment
=============================
Current text: "A possible overall theme for 2013 could be: “Meaningful
participation of all stakeholders in Internet governance”."

Nick Ashton-Hart has commented: "That is a possible theme, but it is
also really dry – and  what connection does it have with the lives of
real Internet users? How about something like “How can Internet
Governance Benefit Users Worldwide?”"

Proposed resolution: Offer both proposals, resulting in: "A possible
overall theme for 2013 could be: “Meaningful participation of all
stakeholders in Internet governance”, or “How can Internet
Governance Benefit Users Worldwide?”."

IT IS CLEAR NOW THAT THERE IS NO CONSENSUS FOR THIS PROPOSED
RESOLUTION. IT IS THEREFORE HEREBY DECLARED REJECTED. SINCE THE
COMMENT EXPLICITLY NOTED THAT THE SUGGESTION OF THE CURRENT TEXT IS
ACCEPTABLE, THE ISSUE IS THEREFORE CLOSED.

Paragraph 12 / Avri's comment
=============================
Current text: "A possible overall theme for 2013 could be: “Meaningful
participation of all stakeholders in Internet governance”."

Avri has commented: "what does Meaningful mean? I do not see this as a
significant topic for the IGF. It is an introspective organizational
topic not one that affect the Interent directly. Why have we given up
on Human Rights as a general theme?"

Proposed resolution: None yet. Please propose specific text. If no
specific proposal is made, by default no change will be made to
the draft text.

Paragraphs 13 + 14 / Nick's comment
===================================
Current text of paragraph 13: "Main sessions and workshops should not
be competing with each other, as they are not substitutes.  Workshops
are the best forum for self-selected groups to exchange information,
opinions and experiences.  These can be more productive than main
sessions, but are often limited to narrow communities of interest and
can therefore lack external impact.  Main sessions are better for
bringing the insights developed through workshops and dynamic coalition
members to the broader community of IGF participants, including those
with influence over or connections to processes of policy development.
Main sessions have the potential to allow for high-level
consensus-building and strategising on how these insights can be
reflected in policy and/or technical processes elsewhere, sometimes
across issue areas: for example, messages on critical Internet
resources might also be relevant to those involved in security or
openness issues and vice versa. Therefore, main sessions should not be
treated as just “big workshops” relevant only to those with topical
interests, but should be for the broadest possible segment of the IGF
community to attend. Consequently, the programme should be restructured
so that main sessions and workshops are not happening at the same time.
Maybe the IGF could be extended to five says?"

Current text of paragraph 14: "Even then a reduction of the number of
main sessions and a reduction of the number of workshops is necessary.
The specific choice of main session topics should vary year by year to
address truly “hot topics” that are on the tips of tongues everywhere."

Nick Ashton-Hart has attached the following comment to paragraph 13:
"There should not be ‘reruns’ of sessions held at previous IGFs and new
voices should be prioritised over those who have been heard from many
times."

Proposed resolution: Add Nick's text to the end or paragraph 14,
resulting in the following new text for paragraph 14: "Even then a
reduction of the number of main sessions and a reduction of the number
of workshops is necessary. The specific choice of main session topics
should vary year by year to address truly “hot topics” that are on the
tips of tongues everywhere. There should not be ‘reruns’ of sessions
held at previous IGFs and new voices should be prioritised over those
who have been heard from many times."

Paragraphs 13 + 14 / Arvi's comment
===================================
[...]

Current text of paragraph 14, with the possible change from the above
proposed resolution added in brackets: "Even then a reduction of the
number of main sessions and a reduction of the number of workshops is
necessary. The specific choice of main session topics should vary year
by year to address truly “hot topics” that are on the tips of tongues
everywhere. [There should not be ‘reruns’ of sessions held at previous
IGFs and new voices should be prioritised over those who have been
heard from many times.]"

Avri has attached the following comment to paragraph 13: "I disagree, I
value the vary full schedule that give people a maximum choice. I know
some peopel would like to create an artificial shorage of sessions so
that their session gets greater traffic, but I prefer to see as many
different topics and themes covers and suggest that we continue to fill
all the room with worthwhile sessions. Yes, there should be an effort
to not schedule similar topic against each other so that people can
follw a thread, but I do not beleive that main sessions should be given
any priority over workshops. Personally I think it is unfortunate that
so much time is spent in main sessions and would prefer to see the
meeting limited to just 3 main sessions and then many workshops."

Proposed resolution: Since we do not have consensus on whether MAG
should limit the number of workshops, remove the text relating to
that point, resulting in the following text for paragraph 14, with the
possible change from the above proposed resolution added in brackets:
"Even then a reduction of the number of main sessions is necessary. The
specific choice of main session topics should vary year by year to
address truly “hot topics” that are on the tips of tongues everywhere.
[There should not be ‘reruns’ of sessions held at previous IGFs and new
voices should be prioritised over those who have been heard from many
times.]"

Paragraph 15
============
Current text of paragraph 15: "The formats of the main sessions should
be varied more. 3 hours is generally too long, some were poorly
attended in Baku and there were many grumbled complaints about poor
content, poor preparation, repeating issues from previous years, etc.
Some main sessions need better preparation (and some were good –
transcripts illustrate the differences), the MAG has an important fole
to fulfil in regarding to ensuring good main sessions. Invite speakers
early.  Find funds to support speakers. Planning of the sessions should
be more open and transparent."

Avri has commented: "The reason main session are ignored is because
they are old fashioned pabulum spooning opportunities. They are too big
for real participation by attendees, so they end up panels that seem to
even bore many of the panelists"

Proposed resolution: None yet. Please propose specific text. If no
specific proposal is made, by default no change will be made to
the draft text.

Paragraph 16
============
Current text of paragraph 16: "It would be good to have one main
session with a completely different outcome-oriented format that is
more actively facilitated, for example a “speed dialogue” or a
“moderated debate”. Amongst the most important foundations for this
sort of format is that the participants need to be empowered (ie. they
will produce something at the end), and that the power imbalances
between them are eliminated for the duration of the exercise (through
the way in which the process is facilitated)."

Avri has commented: "I think this is fine for workshop and even for
part of amin session, but fear a whole main session of this would just
be a garble."

Proposed resolution: None yet. Please propose specific text. If no
specific proposal is made, by default no change will be made to
the draft text.

Paragraph 17
============
Current text of paragraph 17: "Taking stock and emerging issues:  Mix
the two sessions, that then justifies 3 hours.  This will probably be
best held on the final morning (i.e. emerging issues become issues the
IGF thinks emerging as important for the coming year(s))."

Avri has commented: "I think taking stick is relatively unimportant
since it is really just self aggrandizement. I think the emerging
issues is possible the most important and relevant of the main session
and should be one of the list bringing together all the emerging issues
that have come up during the week and those which were still not
advanced enough to be covered."

Proposed resolution: None yet. Please propose specific text. If no
specific proposal is made, by default no change will be made to
the draft text.

Paragraph 19
============
Current text of paragraph 19: "Critical Internet Resources was a strong
session in Baku, this justifies 3 hours.  Keep this."

Avri has commented: "I think this may be getting old. I think that if
it becomes a review of the existing mechanisms, it may be worth doing,
but just to say the same things over and over and over year after year
after year is just unproductive."

Proposed resolution: None yet. Please propose specific text. If no
specific proposal is made, by default no change will be made to
the draft text.

Paragraph 20
============
Current text of paragraph 20: "New theme: Enhanced Cooperation.
Sessions in mixed formats over 1 day, e.g. Morning expert panel session
2 hours. Follow by a long break where people encouraged to join
self-organizing small groups (there probably needs to be active
facilitation of the process to encourage small groups to form with a
good mix of stakeholder categories) to discuss a few set questions and
ideas from the morning panel. Afternoon, 2 hour moderated session with
audience only, no panel/experts etc.  Bring back comments from the
small groups."

Avri has commented: "I agree that this is a good direction to go in and
should be one of the two major focuses of the upcoming IGF – other than
Human Rights."

Proposed resolution: None yet. Please propose specific text. If no
specific proposal is made, by default no change will be made to
the draft text.

Paragraph 21 / suggestion to not reference "MS framework of commitments"
Current text of paragraph 21: "New theme: Internet rights and
principles. One day, perhaps same format as suggested for enhanced
cooperation.  Or try something different. There was a proposal in Baku
to summarize all (national/regional/sectoral) “IG Declarations on
Principles” (25+) of the last three years and to produce a “compendium”
as a first step towards something like a multistakeholder framework of
commitments on Internet Governance Principles. Bali has to take the
next step and the MAG should pave the way for a more comprehensive and
analytical approach. It would be very good as well to link this into
the upcoming WSIS +10 (2015)"

Parminder commented: "A 'MS framework of commitments of IG principles'
was just one of the several proposals on the way/ manner to go forward
with developing Internet principles, and the nature of the ultimate
output of the process. There are many others. I do not agree to use one
specific proposal in this direction in the common IGC proposal... There
are people for instance who have at earlier times sought a framework
convention on the Internet (ITfC, IGP, APC). So lets not associate our
statement with one particular approach, about which, for one, I have
specific and clear reservations."

Proposed resolution: Remove the implied endorsement of the "MS framework
of commitments", resulting in the following new text for paragraph 21:
"New theme: Internet rights and principles. One day, perhaps same
format as suggested for enhanced cooperation.  Or try something
different. There was a proposal in Baku to summarize all
(national/regional/sectoral) “IG Declarations on Principles” (25+) of
the last three years and to produce a “compendium”. Bali has to take
the next step and the MAG should pave the way for a more comprehensive
and analytical approach. It would be very good as well to link this
into the upcoming WSIS +10 (2015)"

Paragraphs 21 and 22 / suggestions to add further points
Current text of paragraph 21: "New theme: Internet rights and
principles. One day, perhaps same format as suggested for enhanced
cooperation.  Or try something different. There was a proposal in Baku
to summarize all (national/regional/sectoral) “IG Declarations on
Principles” (25+) of the last three years and to produce a “compendium”
as a first step towards something like a multistakeholder framework of
commitments on Internet Governance Principles. Bali has to take the
next step and the MAG should pave the way for a more comprehensive and
analytical approach. It would be very good as well to link this into
the upcoming WSIS +10 (2015)"

Current text of paragraph 22: "The development aspect of Internet
Governance has been generally overlooked in spite of the official
choice of the theme for the 2012 IGF,  and too often “governance” is
lost as discussion focuses on IT for development.  Open specific public
comment on design/scope of IG4D session. Bring back to the May meeting
to decide on topics and format."

Robert Guerra commented on paragraph 21: "Internet Rights theme –
specifically “Human Rights” was proposed at IGF Open consultation in
Feb 2012. Substantial conversation took place. No consensus from MAG to
proceed unfortunately."

Robert Guerra further commented on paragraph 21: "Development agenda –
which is key aspect of Para. that creates IGF & WSIS II (TUnis) should
also be key issue / theme in Bali (in my opinion)"

Norbert Bollow replied to Robert Guerra: "Perhaps we could strengthen
paragraph 22 a bit… I’d very much appreciate concrete textual
suggestions to that effect."

Avri commented: "As part of the Human rights overal themes this seems
worth doing."

Nick Ashton-Hart commented on paragraph 22: "Given that WSIS+10 and the
review of the Millenium Development Goals are taking place in 2015, why
not bring the MDG follow up into the discussion of IG for development?"

Baudouin Schombe replied to Nick Ashton-Hart: "I support the proposal
of Nick and I think it would be a stone several times. This is also a
very good opportunity to evaluate the broad guidelines of the WSIS
Action Plan (2003)"

Proposed resolution: Add some additional points to paragraph 22,
resulting in the following new text for paragraph 22: "The development
aspect of Internet Governance has been generally overlooked in spite of
the official choice of the theme for the 2012 IGF, and too often
“governance” is lost as discussion focuses on IT for development. [A
question that should be considered in this context is: “How can human
rights based Internet governance principles support development?”]
[The development agenda, which is a key aspect of the part of the
Tunis agenda that creates the IGF, should also be a key theme in Bali.]
[Given that WSIS+10 and the review of the Millenium Development Goals
are taking place in 2015, why not bring the MDG follow up into the
discussion of IG for development?] [Also the WSIS of Action from 2003
could be looked at.] Open specific public comment on design/scope of
IG4D session. Bring back to the May meeting to decide on topics and
format."

Note: In the above, I have marked four separate insertions. If you
object, please indicate specifically which insertion(s) you object to.

Paragraph 26
============
Current text of paragraph 26: "At the 2012 IGF, there were too many
workshops. Cut to between 80 and 100.  Make this target number known
when the call for applications is published, might be the first time
quite a large number of proposals are rejected (might think about
implications of this for the IGF), people should expect to be
disappointed"

Avri commented: "I disagree about their being too many workshops. there
should be as many workshops as there is room and good workshops. Yes
the MAG should have standards and should be strict about workshops
meeting those standards, but there should not be an artificial shortage
of opportunities for workshops."

Proposed resolution: Since we do not have consensus on whether MAG
should limit the number of workshops, remove this paragraph in its
entirety. (The point about having standards and being strict about
those standards is covered in paragraph 27.)

Paragraph 28
============
Current text of paragraph 28: "For workshops, keep the current themes
(access, SOP [security/openness/privacy], IG4D [Internet governance for
development], CIR [critical Internet resources], emerging issues)."

Avri commented: "I think the categories should be examined. I see
little point in CIR, unless it becomes review of CIR institutions."

Proposed resolution: None yet. Please propose specific text. If no
specific proposal is made, by default no change will be made to
the draft text.

Paragraph 29
============
Current text of paragraph 29: "Have the MAG better define Internet
Governance, how it must be considered in workshop proposals (there are
other spaces in WSIS follow-up for non-IG issues).  Use an evaluation
form for workshops (at the moment don’t even know if a room was empty
or overflowing, simple count a good idea.)  However, indications are
that while there were too many workshops in Baku many were strong in
content, well received.  MAG should not cut what looks like a success
to favor the floundering main sessions."

Avri commented: "Internet governance is well defined between the WGIG
report, the WGIG Background report and the TA, i do not see the MAG
getting into a discussion of what Ig is? Perhaps as a workshop idea,
people can examine these many working definitions to see if there is a
cause for updating, but the MAG is not the place for this. The MAG
should be a doer, not another body on introspecting academics. thee is
a place for academic conjecture, but the MAG is not it."

Proposed resolution: Make the text of paragraph 29 clearer so
that it cannot be misunderstood as asking for a redefinition of
Internet Governance, resulting in the following new text for paragraph
29: "Clearly state in the call for workshop proposals that the
proposed workshops shall relate to Internet Governance (as the
term is defined in the WGIG report, the WGIG Background report and the
Tunis Agenda); there are other spaces in WSIS follow-up for non-IG
issues.  Use an evaluation form for workshops (at the moment don’t
even know if a room was empty or overflowing, simple count a good
idea.)  However, indications are that while there were too many
workshops in Baku, many were strong in content, well received.  MAG
should not cut what looks like a success to favor the floundering main
sessions."

Paragraph 30
============
Current text of paragraph 30: "Merging is not the always the solution,
it’s too easy an answer for MAG in their evaluation to say merge simply
because proposals have similar words in the title.  If merging proposed
then the new workshop needs support or tendency to end up with 2
workshops in the same space (merge in name only)."

Avri commented: "Merging is rarely the solution. If two are the same
the MAG should pick one based on its objective criteria, and make them
responsible integrating what they can of the other."

Proposed resolution: Replace paragraph 30 with the text of Avri's
comment.

Paragraph 31
============
Current text of paragraph 31: "The rules for other sessions (open
forums, dynamic coalition, etc.) should be clarified."

Avri commented: "No matter how clear they are made, and they were
rather clear last year, people will abuse those definitions. the point
is for the MAG and secretariat to live up to the defintiions and
criteria."

Proposed resolution: None yet. Please propose specific text. If no
specific proposal is made, by default no change will be made to
the draft text.

Paragraph 32
============
Current text of paragraph 32: "The IGF pre-events have to be revisited
and should receive more attention in terms of planning and projection
as  these are receiving a lot of attention by participants."

Avri commented: "And yet these need to remain separate from the IGF so
they are not reduced to lowest common form as many other session under
the auspice of the IGF are."

Proposed resolution: None yet. Please propose specific text. If no
specific proposal is made, by default no change will be made to
the draft text.

Paragraph 36
============
Current text of paragraph 36: "On-site Internet connectivity should be
IPv4/IPv6 dual-stack."

Robert Guerra commented: "Suggest that DNSSEC also be provided."

Norbert Bollow replied: "How would they “provide” DNSSEC over an
unsecured wireless connection??? I’d suggest that if while using such
connections you want the security benefits that DNSSEC can provide, you
need to run an DNSSEC-enabled DNS resolver on your own device."

Adam commented: "Rather than getting into the specifics of technical
and other specifications for the IGF site, suggest we ask that the
logistics section of the host country agreement be made public so
stakeholders can comment."

Proposed resolution: Add the following text as a new paragraph between
paragraphs 35 and 36: "A draft of the logistics plan for internet
connectivity and other aspects of the meeting venue should be made
public, and stakeholders should be invited to comment."

Paragraph 46
============
Current text of paragraph 46: "The sudden shift of Open Consultations
and MAG meetings from Geneva to France for February 2013 without open
consultation and comments from the community puts a severe logistical
pressure on participation for those that find it a challenge to already
participate in such meetings. This shift enables only certain
individuals to participate that can freely move around EU but for
people that need to acquire visas to travel to Switzerland and
participate from outside of Europe are posed with a big challenge.
Should they apply to Swiss or to the French and how does one explain
why one is taking the visa of one country to participate in the other
and how does the IGF Secretariat plan to manage this?"

Avri commented: "I do not understand this. Is the problem that they
need 2 visas? that I understand. I do not understand the choice issue."

Norbert Bollow replied: "I believe the problem is in regard to people
from countries whose citizens have a hard time getting visas for
Europe. Applying for a Swiss visa will be hard to justify for attending
a meeting in Paris. On the other hand, the IGF secretariat (which
happens to be in Geneva, Switzerland) probably does not have the kind
of relationship with the French authorities that would allow it to
assist with applications for French visas."

Proposed resolution: None yet. Please propose specific text. If no
specific proposal is made, by default no change will be made to
the draft text.

Paragraph 50
Current text of paragraph 50: "IGF should put out a call for host
country expression of interest, with clearly laid out principles and
process for selection, instead of simply waiting for offers."

Avri commented: "ho about adding the notion of a public comment on the
applicant hosts before a desion is made. And who is to make this
decision. I beleive that is something that the MAG should make a
recommendation on to the powers that be."