[governance] caucus contribution, consultation and MAG meeting

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Feb 12 14:19:24 EST 2013

[with IGC Coordinator hat on]

Sigh. I had hoped that with the Feb 7 announcement of the Feb 10
internal deadline for raising new substantive issues / change requests,
we'd now be able to proceed in an orderly manner to "resolve the
comments", i.e. reach consensus on an acceptable path forward for
each of the issues raised in those comments.

However it now appears to me that I had not communicated this process
and the meaning of that deadline clearly enough.

This lack of sufficient clarity of the process was in particular in
regard to the changes that were made to the draft text, well before that
deadline, on the basis of online comments.

I do not think that there's anything fundamentally wrong with the
process that I've been trying to implement here, of having relatively
informal online editing followed by a formal call, with a deadline, to
raise any issues about the text that has resulted from the informal
process, and then having a consensus-oriented process to resolve the
issues that have been raised.

But it is clear now that I had not made this process clear enough.

Therefore, the internal deadline for raising new substantive issues /
change requests is hereby extended to Feb 13 noon UTC.

That is now an absolutely hard deadline. Even if we can get a small
extension of our Feb 14 deadline (I'm going to ask), I'll insist that
after that cut-off time, any new concerns that anyone might want to
raise about the draft statement must be ignored. Actually, after just
reading what it says on the IGF website, "Contributions should be
emailed to igf at unog.ch before 14 February 2013." would taken literally
mean that the deadline is February 13. I'll ask about that too.

In any case time is now really short until we must submit our statement.

Please let's make this a constructive consensus process, and let's try
very hard to move all outstanding issues to a reasonably good
resolution asap.

Greetings,
Norbert