[discuss] [governance] Report from the BR meeting local organizing group - Dec 2013

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 04:28:52 EST 2013

Hi

Thanks Parminder, glad we are able to agree on this.

But further to the question of being clear about who’s speaking, I guess I also don’t understand why you’re only asking for the views of the leaderships of these networks?  Undoubtedly there are varying views among their memberships  about whether CS should present its nominations to the conference committees in the same way as other stakeholders, as the LOG has asked us to do for simplicity’s sake.  Surely you’re not suggesting that the leaders should just take whatever stances they want because their memberships have varying views (well, Best Bits doesn’t actually have members to represent, but whatever).  While I’m not trying to initiate another long and needlessly divisive thread about representational modalities, I don’t think continuing down this road will be helpful to anyone.

FWIW my view remains that if the networks involved refuse to work through the 1net mechanism to channel nominations to the Brazilians, they should not have taken positions on the 1net coordination committee, which to date has one identifiable function— channeling nominations to the Brazilians.   If the view is that because its launch and initial expiation were not handled well 1net therefore has no legitimacy as a channel, then the networks shouldn’t lend it legitimacy and should resign from its coordination committee.  I don’t share that view of 1net, but if someone else does they should behave according to their principles rather than trying to have it both ways.

Best

Bill