[governance] Brazil, WSIS 10+ and ITU

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Fri Dec 27 06:15:28 EST 2013

Hi Wolfgang

Good to see you back in the flow.

On Dec 27, 2013, at 11:38 AM, Kleinwächter, Wolfgang <wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de> wrote:

> Here is the text from the UN resolution, adopted in December 2013 by the UN General Assembly (table by Fihi on behalf ot the Group of 77 and China)

Uh, no, I don’t think so.  You are quoting A/C.2/68/L.40 of 7 November 2013, the G77 and China’s contribution.  I believe this was superseded after negotiations by A/C.2/68/L.73 of 6 December 2013.  The latter deletes mention of summit, but does call for an intergovernmental process to prepare the modalities for review.

Best

Bill

> " 20. Reaffirms the role of the General Assembly in the overall review of the implementation of the outcomes of the World Summit on the Information Society, tobe held in 2015, as recognized in paragraph 111 of the Tunis Agenda;
>
> 21.∫ on the implementation of the outcomes of the World Summit on the Information Society, in accordance with paragraph 111 of the Tunis Agenda;
>
> 22. Also decides to launch a preparatory process for the review summit by January 2014, which shall take place through an open-ended intergovernmental preparatory committee and be consistent with and draw on the experience of the two phases of the World Summit on the Information Society process and which will  define the agenda of the review summit, finalize the negotiated outcome document of the summit and decide on the modalities for the participation of other stakeholders in the summit;
>
> 23. Invites Governments to participate actively in the preparatory process of  the overall review summit in 2015 and to be represented in the summit at the highest possible level;
>
> 24. Acknowledges the contributions of the International Telecommunication Union in the Geneva and Tunis Summits, and invites the Union to contribute similarly to the overall review summit and its preparatory process;"
>
> With other words, this list should start a discussion how CS will be included into the PrepComs for WSIS III, how it will self-organize in 2014/2015 for WSIS 10+. Should we have the same structure like between WSIS I and WSIS II with a CS Bureau, a CS Plenary, a CS Content & Themes group and a large number of CS WGs and Caucuses? This IGC was one of the groups, established during PrepCom2 in February 2003 (see attachment). Should we wait until the Intergovernmental Committee defines under which conditions CS is allowed to participate? Or should we ask for a multistakeholder (instead of intergovernmental) preparatory committee? Should we write a letter to Ban Kin Moon and to protest against this governmental exclusive approach to the WSIS 10+ process and say very clearly that we feel excluded and that all the other paragraphs in the resolution which refer to "multistakeholder" are just lip service as long as CS is not an equal partner in the preparatory process?
>
> And what about CS representation in the UNGIS?
>
> "16. Also recognizes the role of the United Nations Group on the Information Society as an inter-agency mechanism of the United Nations System Chief Executives Board for Coordination designed to coordinate United Nations implementation of the outcomes of the World Summit on the Information Society;"
>
> And finally, what this list will do to go prepared to the ITU Plenipot in Busan in Fall 2014? Do we want to play an active role in the WTDC and the ITU sponsored Ministerial WSIS 10+ meeting, orignally planned for Sharm el Sheikh in April 2014 and move now probably to Dubai and/or Bucharest?

> [...]

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland
  ICANN, www.ncuc.org