Fwd: Re: [discuss] [governance] Report from the BR meeting local organizing group - Dec 2013

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Dec 27 02:39:22 EST 2013

Ian/ All

On your email about 1Net being simply a conduit, I forward an email as
below that I wrote on the 1Net list which I see is not copied to IGC and
BB..

IMHO civil society should quit pussy footing and learn to stand up and
assert... Dont be afraid that we will lose this or that... civil society
activism was not built on timidness, but on being bold and speaking out
the truth, truth that is repressed and window dressed otherwise. That is
civil society's primary role - not to sit in committees, which we will
of course do for fulfilling our primary role as and when needed. We are
openly being taken for granted here, and I have no doubt that in a big
part we ourselves are responsible for this...

No personal comments on anyone (least on you, Ian) but I think we need
to begin giving clear-speak a higher rating than our civil society lists
have been reduced to doing...

Civil society has to react as strongly to a set of ICANN or 1* star
players manipulating it as we would if a government was..... Not doing
so bespeaks a political ideology, which not only I but a very very big
number of people and groups across the world are extremely uncomfortable
with.

  'Niceness' cannot mask real politics, and I see some hilarious
attempts on this list attempting to do so... At the very least, lets
give each other the credit of being grown up political adults...

parminder