[governance] [bestbits] Call to Best Bits participants for nominations to Brazil meeting committees

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 02:27:54 EST 2013

David,

I think there are two separate issues at play here and I may be at fault in
conflating them (or perhaps you are...

Anyway, the first issue is whether the CI network should be allowed to join
the CS "club" as represented by the CS "Coordinating Committee" -- the
significance of which is the CC's establishment of "criteria" and selection
of CS representatives for various representative positions... My note below
on "clubbableness" was addressed, I believe quite correctly (and most
certainly not by analogy)  to this matter.

The second issue (or rather set of issues) is the manner of selection of
those representatives including the (lack of a) transparent and accountable
process for those selections (following directly from the illegitimacy of
the processes referred to in #1 above), the magical creation (pulling out of
thin air) of selection "criteria", the evident ad hominem-ness of those
criteria and so on. And as a matter of fact, it seems to me that given the
current small clique nature of CS "governance" processes and
participation--and its internal processes of self-selection and
self-promotion, those doing the selecting at least are in fact
"represent(ing) no more than their own small clique"...

And you keep referring to minorities and small groups etc.  -- my point
overall is that probably a majority of the global population would be
included in what you are referring to as "their small fraction"... Providing
a means to give voice (or of course hopefully voices) to those interests is
hardly something that should "not be listened to by anyone" except of
course, for those who are directly benefiting from current circumstances and
conditions.