[governance] Important concept

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Mon Dec 23 09:20:03 EST 2013

Hi Dmitry,

thank you for this helpful distinction between government, governance
and Foucault-based governmentality. There is another quite similar but
more general definition of governance that I like: reflexive
coordination. It refers to coordinating activities that touch upon the
social order underlying such activities.

Whatever definition chosen, one cannot emphasize enough that governance
arrangements can be found anywhere in the internet universe and do not
necessarily imply governments, public administrations or legal tools.
The popularity of the term governance in academia is due to the fact
that it decouples political actions from the governmental sector. The
IETF, or standard setting more generally for example, can - and should -
also be studied from a governance perspective as reflexive coordination.

jeanette