[governance] UN controls the country code part of the Internet root, not US

Daniel Pimienta pimienta at funredes.org
Thu Dec 19 19:52:48 EST 2013

> > Does the Haiti case stand out? Are there any other examples of
> redelegation decision viewed as controversial,
>many
>
> > like this one?
>This one seems to have been easy, as parties agreed.
Sorry to react a bit late.

For the sake of respect to the historical facts, I shall, as one of
the first witness of that case, strongly disagree, Mc Tim,
and strongly is a weak adjective in that case...

This one was not easy at all! The weakness of the civil society
involved parties (REHRED and FUNREDES)  was challenged by a long
lasting action on the Internet media to protest against a real
injustice coming from abroad and a threaten to Internet development
in Haiti, which was lost by weariness and lack of resources. REHRED,
the civil society first network was deeply weakend by this struggle
and eventually disappeared. ACN, the first ISP in Haiti, was put in
unfair competition with foreign interests. All that in spite the
facts that REHRED and ACN were proposing the first multi stakeholder
approach for Internet governance and at the time of the redelegation
(and for many years after) were  the two unique ISPs in the country.

The turmoils created by this totally wrong decision of IANA, standing
in a new, improvised, on the shot, rule, contradicting all previous
documented ones, costed the development of the Internet in Haiti a
strong shot which lasted until 2004, 7 years later, when finally
under UNDP pressure and thanks to RDDH the situation eventually
evolved positively. And that time the parties agreed after the holder
of a ccTLD which they never put in function disappeared.

The party which stealed, with IANA total complicity, the cc-TLD
management from REHRED/ACN was uncapable during the 7 years following
the delegation to have the ccTLD perform leaving Haiti without ccTLD
all that time with all the implications which that mean in terms of
Internet development.

This was the opposite of a succes story and one of the worst example
of bad doing in terms of governance dictated from the US.

Part of the archeologic data is on some gophers which are not
reachable now but some links still are offering memories:
http://www.firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/viewArticle/531/452
Haiti and Internet governance, John Quarterman, Fist Monday, June 1997
http://som.csudh.edu/cis/lpress/articles/haiti.htm Seats at the
Policy-Making Table, Larry Press, OnTheInternet, July 1997
Funredes has a well documented page on that story which is having
problem at this moment but will soon be back.

believed to be clean.