[governance] UN controls the country code part of the Internet root, not US

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 18:54:31 EST 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 6:25 PM, Joanna Kulesza <joannakulesza at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> as much as this is my very first post on the list, the discussion is so
> riveting, I had to chip in, with a question rather than an opinion really.
>
> Would the ICANN "power" you were discussing not also be visible in the
> delegation/redelegation policy? Not "taking the country offline" but
> redelegating the management of the ccTLD to an entitiy more... willing to
> colaborate with ICANN/US? The case that always come to my mind when we speak
> about ICANN "power" over the online reflections of state sovereignty, that
> is the ccTLDs, is the 2004 Haiti case:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/01/14/haiti_kisses_icann_ring_rewarded/
> or http://www.icannwatch.org/article.pl?sid=04/01/26/0138212.Just for the
> sake of objectivity, here's the IANA take on the case:
> http://www.iana.org/reports/2004/ht-report-13jan04.html
>
> My question to the members of the list, should they choose to answer it, is
> simple - was this a stricly technical decision or would you consider it a
> politically influenced one?

Neither, it is an administrative procedure/decision.

 Does the Haiti case stand out? Are there any
> other examples of redelegation decision viewed as controversial,

many

 like this
> one?

This one seems to have been easy, as parties agreed.

> Is this a state sovereignty issue? Or not at all?

For some it is, for others, not so much.  Some of us believe that the
Internet Community (not technical community) in a country should run
the ccTLD, others think States are sovereign (this is part of the
Tunis Agenda, which is non-binding).

--
Cheers,

McTim