[governance] UN controls the country code part of the Internet root, not US

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 16:03:24 EST 2013

Thank you, Mawaki.  The subject line is correct in one sense and misleading in others; I should have been more precise, but I was reacting quickly to some other post -- can't remember whose -- which claimed very exaggerated powers for ICANN.

It is correct that the UN controls the time of entry of any entity into ISO 3166, and that there are almost certain to be political considerations in determining when such an event occurs.   I know that from first hand experience.  To make up a mythical example, if the People's Republic of China's  2- and 3-letter codes had been in ISO 3166, and the Chinese Nationalists would then have retreated to Formosa/Taiwan. I m sure that .tw would not exist today.  Talk with the folks in the western Sahara.   I don't remember what the Eritrea story was, it might be interesting to review it.

George