[governance] GAC ccTLD Principles

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Dec 13 11:59:51 EST 2013

Joanna,

On Dec 13, 2013, at 2:40 AM, Joanna Kulesza <joannakulesza at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just for the sake of argument: please try and locate the .eu, .ac and .uk ccTLDs on the ISO list.

This should probably be in a FAQ someplace. Please see the ISO-3166 Decoding Table: http://www.iso.org/iso/iso-3166-1_decoding_table

(BTW, pedantic phraseology nit: ccTLDs are not on the ISO list.  ISO 3166/MA maintains a list of (two- and three-letter) country codes, the two-letter version of which is used to derive ccTLDs.  This distinction is important as it demonstrates the chain of authority.)

As you can see from that table, EU, AC, UK, and a number of others are "Exceptionally Reserved" which ISO defines to mean "Code element may be used but restrictions may apply".

IANA, even before ICANN, interpreted any code that is green ("allocated") or yellow ("exceptionally reserved") in that table to be available for delegation as a ccTLD (albeit other restrictions obviously apply).  Note that there are some folks who believe IANA should only use the green ("allocated") codes, but I figure that ship sailed long before ICANN was established.

> A similar argument might be made for .tp .yu and .su yet I realize that those domains are no longer accepting new registrations.

TP and YU are "Transitionally Reserved" the use of which ISO-3166/MA has indicated should stop "ASAP".  SU was moved from "Transitionally Reserved" to "Exceptionally Reserved" by ISO-3166/MA a few years back (a bit of a story there that I could rant on about, but that's probably a different thread).  My understanding is that .SU does, in fact, accept new registrations.

> The point is that there is some space left for IANA/ICANN in making their decisions despite the seemingly clear RFCs.

With regards to what defines a ccTLD, not so much.

Regards,
-drc