[governance] BB listers and IGC listers

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Thu Dec 12 04:23:24 EST 2013

Nnenna Nwakanma <nnenna75 at gmail.com> wrote:

> To persons subscribed to the Best Bits list and Internet Governance
> list
>
> I have started a sheet here:
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-TSs6WAZLtaGs-wHmw-cBxr4tF3Ix7tNEGV7JeXYa3E/edit#gid=1819847878
>
> This exercise follows the "double dipping" idea of BB and IGC.   This
> comparison is only of BB and IGC.

I have concerns about that kind of thing.

Carelessly creating, and signing, attendance lists has gotten people
killed when surprisingly (to them) the political climate in which they
were operating became totalitarian.

Of course there is a threshold point at which, when someone is engaging
in political processes in influential ways, the principle of
transparency trumps any "personal privacy" concerns related to that
political engagement.

However just subscribing to a mailing list of a political kind, such
as BestBits or IGC, is IMO far below that "threshold point".

For that reason I object to the creation of that "sheet" for reasons
of principle.

I'm right now not speaking for anyone except myself, so I hereby insist
that I have not given permission for any of my personal information to
be included on a "sheet" of that kind, and I insist that I have the
right to hereby demand that my personal information be removed from
that "sheet".

(I would not object to my name being included e.g. on a document
listing "people who have made a great number of mailing list
postings", since the creation of such a document would be justifiable
on the basis of the transparency principle that I have mentioned above.
But such justification does not apply to a document that includes
people who are subscribed simply out of a desire to be informed.)

Greetings,
Norbert