[governance] All power should be in the hands of the engineers? (was Re: HLLM in LOndon - CS reps)

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 16:12:03 EST 2013

Jean-Christophe,

Based upon some recent remarks in various mails, there are three meetings in which the comments that attracted you could have been made:

1. The ISOC Chapters meeting - not an ISOC meeting, but held in the same venue.  I was not there.

2. The early morning Wednesday meeting, used for filling people in with respect to events leading up to the Brazil meeting.  I was not there.

3. The ICANN Open Forum on Thursday afternoon.  I was there.

I think that in the interests of fairness to Alex, to you, and to the substance of the discussion, that members of the list deserve to look at the transcript.  I know that there is an official transcript for meeting 3, above, but I don't know whether any transcripts exist for he first two meetings.  To which of these meetings are you referring?

Please, I hope that you will identify the meeting and post Alex's remarks to the list directly soon.

Thanks!

George

George,

I am putting a final hand to my next hufpost and will provide the link once it is online. It will also include a link to the full transcript - was a bit of work for a Continental European like me to get through Alejandro's speedy Mexican English. No offense, just a bit of a hard time to be as precise as possible.

JC

Le 10 déc. 2013 à 22:33, George Sadowsky a écrit :

> I typed too quickly.  I meant to type "I am on the ICANN Board."  I thought that it was rather well known.  But whatever I post on these lists is my own personal opinion. I think that's well understood also.
>
> I have also been on this list for the last 10 years, and at that time I was running Internet policy projects in transition countries, mostly in the former Soviet Union.   See http://www.georgesadowsky.org/.
>
> I clearly was at ICANN 48 but don't remember Alejandro's intervention.  If it was at the Open Forum, I was involved in a couple of urgent side conversations, and I did leave the room at some point.  Maybe it's just my faulty memory.  If it occurred elsewhere, I was not in that session.  Then again, I had had a long talk with Alejandro during the week, and perhaps I just wasn't listening well.
>
> I don't understand your Disneyland comment, but I want to comment on your "circle" allusion.  I don't stand in one circle.  I consult (small business), sometimes I consult for government (government), I am a technologist (technical) and I've been involved in a variety of economic and social development initiatives (civil society).  Parts of me are in all circles, and to be identified with only one circle deforms who I am  --  just like the stakeholder framework encourages us to be in silos.   I wrote a post several weeks ago on this subject that you may not have seen; I'll send you a copy off list.
>
> So I'm waiting to receive the text that you are referring to.  Perhaps if it's not too long you could just post it to the list so that everyone could make their own judgment?
>
> George

> On Dec 10, 2013, at 3:18 PM, Jean-Christophe Nothias wrote:
>
>> Thanks for informing those who didn't know about your ICANN relationship/link/... We might see in a near future, more clarity about who's who in the different circles. Internet Governance is not about going to Disneyland, giving smiles around at each other while gently spending money -for those who have some- and thinking that we live in a "ouin-ouin" world.
>>
>> Do you mean you were attending ICANN48, but did not participate to that session? Which then makes sense ("I did not hear him"). What Alejandro said was probably one of the greatest moment of the meeting. Unavoidable.
>>
>> But again, if we understand Alejandro, please no single definition, no single issue... What's about terminology? This is not really what is at stake here. What will be the next governance? That is the main concern and this is what needs to be urgently addressed and forwarded to the Brazilian meeting. And governance means some sort of political will, clarity, and "program".
>>
>> JC

<<trimmed substantially>>