[governance] DMP} Statement on Process and Objectives for the Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance

Jean-Christophe NOTHIAS I The Global Journal jc.nothias at theglobaljournal.net
Tue Dec 10 13:26:46 EST 2013

David,

Thanks for your answer.

JC

Post-scriptum:

I'm still investigating that 1998 year, this first major 'wrong turn' in Internet History, when the founders of the Internet were ultimately replaced by a US gov/corp substitute straw man that is still of concern today (ICANN_1.0, ICANN_2.0, or ICANN+).

I think in the present context, people should look back a bit. The way Postel was sided, reminds me a lot of what's happening today with the IGF. In the same ICANN48 video, we have other incredible statements about the death of the IGF, the way to keep the lead over IG... Today, things are coming with much more magnitude at a globalized level. Who cared about Postel trying to save the way Internet was first organized back then? Today a gigantesque battle of communication (see for more details the same video and the 5 challenges of the 'I stars' such as the 1Net initiative) is organized to divide, to rewrite, to dilute, to allude, to confuse people. Alejandro's incredible advises are true stigmate of what is happening. But contrary to what one could think, as Postel times tend to be more distant, the more we learn about them. I am confident that this 'coup' will be more and more of a concern to historians and the public. It might take time, but I am confident that it will be the case. They are still some true founders of the Internet that could speak prior joining Postel. It is difficult to imagine that Magaziner was able to succeed in this US establishment takeover without serious Internet insiders. (How to develop the right narrative, how to explain the necessity of a change, how to deliver results out of a multistakeholder approach...). In a thriller, the insider is the one who is betraying. Unfortunately, I am not a great reader of thriller, nor a plot craze. But when so much money was at stake, it is hard to avoid asking questions. Still a lot of $$$ are at stake today. I think Coppola's Godfather gives us a clew : "the one coming to you to offer a deal/peace will betray you". We will learn more the truth even though, few critical documents are already missing. If anyone can help me, I would like to read Magaziner's statement at Postel memorial. All of that would make a terrific movie. A sad and tragic one as well, even in the context of all these exhilarating stories by garage-start-ups and their techno dream of $$$. Not all of them turned to be successful by the way. That old story might sound a bit irrelevant today, except that the present difficulties and challenges are rooted at the same spring: preserving a new and lively public space and making sure it will not fall under the dominance of a few. We are already far behind but it is probably worth trying to catch back.