[governance] DMP} Statement on Process and Objectives for the Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Dec 10 12:13:37 EST 2013

Jean-Christophe,

On Dec 10, 2013, at 11:55 AM, Jean-Christophe NOTHIAS I The Global Journal <jc.nothias at theglobaljournal.net> wrote:
> 1_
> After few reports and features on Internet, I did noticed for some time that Jon Postel died in October 1998 weeks before the ICANN was incorporated. For some reason, I believe the two events are very muck linked.

In the sense that the insanity (including lawsuits targeting Jon directly) undoubtedly increased Jon's stress levels and that probably didn't help his heart condition, I might agree.  I do not think there is any direct relationship but then again, I've often been called naive.

> But what was your point to mention his death?

The root server operators (and many other folks) trusted Jon implicitly (for good reason), in many cases far more than Verisign, Ira Magaziner, the Clinton Administration, or the US government as a whole.  When Jon passed away, I believe it was in some sense a traumatic event to the traditional 'power structures' of the Internet and resulted in a significant number of changes.  Among those changes was an increased understanding (if not formalization) of the responsibilities held by the root server operators.

However, this is just my opinion.

Regards,
-drc