[governance] Thought experiment on TLD removal from the root zone (was Re: DMP} Statement...)

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Dec 10 10:17:27 EST 2013

Norbert,

On Dec 10, 2013, at 9:07 AM, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:
>> I believe at least some of the root servers would refuse to
>> accept the modified zone.
> Wouldn't that cause DNSSEC validation to start failing after a couple
> of days?

Yes and no. If the zone is modified, it will cause DNSSEC validation failures immediately. However, instead of modifying the zone, they could restore a previous version of the zone (with the DNSSEC information that was relevant at the time intact).  This would provide about 1 week (until the zone expired) for an alternative signing infrastructure to be established.

Given the scenario, I believe it would be safe to assume the resolver operators who were unhappy with the change would update their trust anchors to use the new signing infrastructure/root servers sooner rather than later.

It's also probably worth noting that according to http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2013-07/dnssec-google.html, as of May 2013, about 8.3% of the Internet would actually notice an invalid signature (I believe around 7% are behind a single validating resolver (Google's Public DNS)).

Regards,
-drc