[governance] DMP} Statement on Process and Objectives for the Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance

Jovan Kurbalija jovank at diplomacy.edu
Sun Dec 1 16:53:46 EST 2013

Hi Norbert,

It would be useful to have the exact reference to Fadi's comment in order
to provide a precise legal analysis. Multiple jurisdictions would lead
towards conflict of laws (regulated by international private law).  The Law
of the Sea has many examples of concurrent, parallel, and overlapping
jurisdictions due to the complex interplay of three core jurisdiction
elements: territoriality (coastal state, territorial sea), nationality
(flag State jurisdiction), and universality (e.g. against piracy).

So far, one of the broadest lists of concurrent jurisdictions is in article
109 of the UN Convention of the Law of the Sea (1982):

‘Any person engaged in unauthorized broadcasting may be prosecuted before
the court of:

(a) the flag State of the ship;

(b) the State of registry of the installation;

(c) the State of which the person is a national;

(d) any State where the transmissions can be received; or

(e) any State where authorized radio communication is suffering
interference.’

BTW: I usually send this article to enthusiasts about extending the Law of
the Sea to the Internet based on a rather simplistic analogy between the
high sea and the Internet (beyond jurisdiction). The Law of the Sea is not
very sympathetic to ‘unauthorised broadcasting’ and free flow of
information.

Back to the question of multiple jurisdiction…

While one can think on various solutions with multiple jurisdictions, it is
not clear how various jurisdictions can be exercised ‘simultaneously’. It
would be in breach of the general legal principle ‘ne bis in idem’ (nobody
should be prosecuted twice for the same offense).

This is just a quick reflection. If you can provide more precise questions,
it could help in deepening the discussion on IG, jurisdiction, and ICANN.

Best regards,

Jovan