[governance] DMP} Statement on Process and Objectives for the Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance

Jovan Kurbalija jovank at diplomacy.edu
Mon Dec 9 07:07:08 EST 2013

Thank you David, for clarifying this point. Tim, additional
clarification is in footnote [1]: ...... the UN Charter in the article
41 specifies that sanctions may include ‘complete or partial
interruption of economic relations and of rail, sea, air, postal,
telegraphic, radio, and other means of communication, and the severance
of diplomatic relations’. The possibility of ‘deleting a country from
the Internet’ or cutting the Internet links was not used in any of the
main international conflicts or sanctions regimes, from the Balkans in
1990s till the recent one in Syria.

Although the UN Charter provides a legal basis, the possibility of
stopping services of 'resolving' top level domain of countries under the
sanctions has never been used.

Tim, on this question...

Did you mean that they would be the rootzone admin and the
database/manager?  They already host a rootserver (L) and are (via IANA
function) the DB manager.///

JOVAN: David clarified that ICANN does not host the root server. In the
blog text, the Verisign option would be covered in "continuing to use
the current location would require changes in the US national law, in
order to ensure international inviolability of the root database".
Since a change in the US law for this type of immunity/inviolability
could be a complex exercise, the solution for hosting the server by
ICANN could be simpler, especially if a broader arrangement is made for
ICANN+  (making ICANN a quasi-international organisation). This could be
also a solution for immunity for ICANN's role as DB manager.

David, I agree that root zone issue is a symbolic one.  The US
'deletion’ move is almost as improbable as the chance that the Higgs
Boson experiment in CERN will create anti-matter field which can siphon
the Earth through a black hole. But, this probability excited some
journalist in Geneva (nice Dan Brown style story).

The rootzone question is symbolic and it should be addressed that way.
Otherwise, we will - at best - continue wasting our time on it or - at
worst - have it escalating into the major issue in the fast shifting
political context.

Regards, Jovan

--

*Jovan Kurbalija, PhD*

Director, DiploFoundation

Rue de Lausanne 56 *| *1202 Geneva*|***Switzerland

*Tel.*+41 (0) 22 7410435 *| **Mobile.*+41 (0) 797884226

*Email: *jovank at diplomacy.edu*| **Twitter:*@jovankurbalija

*The latest from Diplo:*today – this week – this month
<http://www.diplomacy.edu/currently> *l* Conference on Innovation in
Diplomacy (Malta, 19-20 November 2012)
<http://www.diplomacy.edu/conferences/innovation> *l *new online courses
<http://www.diplomacy.edu/courses>