[governance] Mandela: a giant passes

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 11:15:32 EST 2013

Aron,

I think not just Africans but the humanity (made up of our contemporaries)
is in for a life-long celebration of Madiba.
There will always be those who would want you to present your other cheek
and be beaten to death. They even said he was a terrorist because he once
embraced armed struggle in the face of the regime's brutality, while not
saying a word about the state terrorism in full display, leaving no viable
options to people yearning for freedom. I guess that kind of commentators
are the same ones who would tell you that Margaret Thatcher saved Mandela
from decapitation, or whatever it was that the apartheid regime practiced
for the capital sentence. And I guess it is the same kind of talking heads
who told us in the 80's that we (all people asking for change) should go
easy on Pieter Botha because he allegedly was as liberal as we could get
for a Prime Minister from the National Party ranks. And then De Klerk came
along and we were like "oh, we thought everybody else from that party was
supposed to be worse for the cause than Botha?"

I have been made aware of the apartheid problem from early junior high
school (same period I came to read about MLK and Rosa Park life stories/
civil rights struggle in the US), attending conferences, reading news and
books about the issue. So that kind of commentators can tell their parallel
universe stories to folks who haven't been paying attention. As for me, I
only have one word or gesture for them: [shrug]
Moving on.

Mawaki