[governance] FW: [IP] Economist article on Louis Pouzin

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Dec 5 02:57:19 EST 2013

The greatest thing about Louis is that he created a part of what we know
as Internet technology with an outsider's mindset, key to making
disruptive innovations, and he still keeps that 'outsider mindset' young
and unsullied, at 82. He has refused to rest on his laurels, much less
allow himself the luxury to be courted by those who are globally making
big on the technology that he helped invent. He still want things to get
better, and rues the re-centralisation of power and control on the
Internet throughcreation of walled spaces, which is the major part of
today's Internet. As he puts it, "recreating Minitel in a way" (out of
what was supposed to be an open and end to end Internet). The best
tribute to Louis will be to take this message from him seriously; and to
put our wits and energies into re-decentralising power on and through
the Internet.

Louis, you are an inspiration for all of us!

parminder