[governance] RE: [bestbits] What is 1Net? Blog post by Paul Wilson of APNIC

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Dec 1 17:32:34 EST 2013

I have direct experience in ARIN of individuals affiliated with government _agencies_ making a policy proposal and participating as peers in the process. I have also seen specific agencies of national govts contract with experts to represent their positions in bottom up processes.

Mostly, that's ok with me.

But this is the "disaggregated" model I referred to. There is no system of representation of "government" in ARIN, or RIPE, afaik. I think it is dangerous to speak of "government" as a stakeholder, if by government one means things like "Australia" or "the United States of America" or "China." I would not want to see any RIR's representational or participatory structure modified to incorporate representation of a government qua government - as I said, such a system is fundamentally incompatible with bottom up MSM.

--MM