[IRPCoalition] [governance] Position by IT for Change and some other NGOs on enhanced cooperation

Anja Kovacs anja at internetdemocracy.in
Fri Aug 30 14:21:08 EDT 2013

Dear all,

While the Internet Democracy Project is not a member of APC, and though we
do have differences of opinion with APC (e.g. on how severe the threat of
backgtracking on the Tunis agenda is), we broadly agree with APC's views on
the IT for Change statement as outlined by Valeria. We will not be able to
sign the IT for Change statement.

It is oftentimes made to seem as if there are only two options where
Internet governance arrangements are concerned: the status quo and a more
centralised form of governance, the latter often (though not always)
imagined as involving greater government control. We believe that there is
a third way, and one that has far greater potential for a politics of
justice, which is that of distributed governance. We will be submitting a
submission to the WGEC along these lines.

Best regards,

Anja

On 30 August 2013 15:33, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:

> Neither of the two. The bestbits statement is well drafted though a trifle
> naive in assumptions.
>
> I do not intend to sign up to the IT4Change one and if the caucus were to
> sign up in consensus would request that my name be specifically excluded
> from it.
>
> --srs (iPad)
>
> On 30-Aug-2013, at 15:27, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:
>
> > Marianne Franklin <m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> Of course, if enough responses are in today to indicate a strong
> >> enough consensus that the coalition signs up to both the statements
> >> being put to us then let us know as soon as you can. And thanks in
> >> advance for taking the time to do this.
> >
> > Provided that enough other positive responses come in, I'm in favor
> > of signing up to both the BestBits and the IT for Change statements.
> >
> > Greetings,
> > Norbert

> >     http://www.igcaucus.org/

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/