[governance] On "ad hominem" and "twisting words"

Daniel Pimienta pimienta at funredes.org
Sat Aug 10 11:10:31 EDT 2013

For the sake of balancing the growing counter of
+1 on Bertand's mail and preventing a group to
find unanimously the perfect guilty for the
turmoil on the communication flow during the last
months in this forum, I would like to express a -1 on Bertand's mail.

First of all, the process of slow deterioration
of the good spirit is NOT the product of one
person expression but the result of an
interaction with other person’s expression and I
do not think I have to offer names, if your
memory of the co-co's actions is neat.

Second, and much more important, what is at stake
behind this situation is NOT a mere question of
people style; in the background, there is a
profound issue of the role of civil society in Internet Governance.

I consider myself that a good provision of
"constructive provocation" is an intrinsic part
of my civil society role and I have been worried
for years in this forum to perceive a clear trend
of anesthesia of the discourse of civil society,
for the sake of allowing  multistakeholderism to
perform smoothly. I have been (and I am still)
quite worried that this trend will not transform
us (organized civil society) in the unwilling
accomplices of many bad actions performed in our field.

It is enough to see the sweetness of the IGF
statements in situation like PRISM, compared to
other groups, to assess this point.

The main reason I am more a lurker than a
contributor in this forum is to be found there
(and not in the fact that some discussion get
heated). The main reason why Funredes has
resigned recently from APC membership (without
loosing respect and good relationships) is also
to be found here (my analysis is that the price
to pay in silencing and smoothing our critics has gotten too high).

Is it not a risky game to accept to be so polite
that we loose our soul; shall we resist to such
level of politeness? I tend to answer yes at the
light of the evolution of the Internet.

What is at stake here and the fractures which are
underlying are not details of Internet history
and too much naivety may turned to become a crime
against virtual humanity; the role of ICANN, the
need to see the historical grab of US in Internet
governance evolve, the appropriate balance of
security and privacy, the implication of the
dominant economical model that –mainly- Google
has imposed based uniquely in advertisements and
the terrible consequences in our privacy and
comfort which are hardly evocated here, the
difficulty of the requirements on multilingualism
to get accepted in spite of a more accommodating discourse...

When in last IGF meeting, in Baku, I felt the
role of civil society was starting to blur and I
got quite worried to see ICANN implementing a
totally artificial (and super expensive)
economical model for domain names and the
appearing passivity of my civil society
colleagues. Our proactivity and capacity to
resist seemed to have decline so much.

As a mental reaction, I develop a cartoon in my
mind that I resisted to share at that time (in
order to keep polite and avoid embarrassing my
civil society colleagues) but I will now as a
reaction against the attempt to definitively shut up provocation.

I will, not only for this episode of apparent
consensus against one of the more provocative
civil society voice of this forum, but also
because I have been so disappointed that the
opportunity of the moment when the Balis's
meeting was jeopardized was not used to ask the
real questions for this group but instead to
demonstrate the typical homeostasis syndrome of
groups who must keep existing the same way just
because they have existed so far).

The cartoon is based on the Arab proverb that is
quite famous: the dogs bark and the caravan
passes (the trigger may habe been a wonderful
restaurant in the old town named Caravanseray :-)).

Imagine a long road heading to a big tower of
dollars, not so far away in the perspective.
Imagine a caravan named ICANN. Imagine a bunch of
dogs marked IGF which are barking between them
and around the caravan. Imagine the caravan does
not care at all and keep passing towards the big money...
We can also use the image with US government in
the caravan and PRISM at the end of the road.

Sorry if my words will disturb many of you but it
feels so good to be provocative again. :-)

believed to be clean.