[governance] News from this week's MAG call?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Aug 8 04:14:27 EDT 2013

Great news that Bali IGF is on! Very much look forward...

Troubled to hear there is a pre-event high level leaders meeting of ICT
minsters and CEOs to discuss Multi-stakeholder cyber-ethics
principles...... The thing appears corporate dominated if not
exclusively for them, apart from ministers...

Till last year, the pre event used to be a ministerial event.... now we
have a ministers plus CEO event, and that too deciding on cyber ethics
principles..

(BTW, it was this high level meeting to which invitations were being
sought to be sold as a fund raising strategy described in the
problematic document ...... So really, if a big corporation is afraid
that cyber ethics may tend towards, say open standards, or strict
privacy principles, one could just quickly buy up some seats at the
table where the discussion and perhaps finalisation of principles will
take place.  Fact is, I really still do not know how much funding has
actually been generated against those promises, and if those promised
quid pro quos still hold. We were told that this question will be raised
and an answer obtained in the MAG meeting, but i dont see anything about
it in the MAG meeting minutes . )

This is not acceptable... CS groups must write to the organisers against
this... When Sarkozy announced an e- G8 forum that was to be  a
pre-event to the G 8 meeting on important Internet issues, and he
invited just business CEOs along with government delegates, CS,
including the IGC, wrote against this  (
http://igcaucus.org/open-letter-president-sarkozy-eg8-meeting-plan
)..... (This was widely covered in the French press, and as a result, I
think they did invite some civil society persons)

Civil society deserves a place at policy deliberation tables much before
big corporates do.....

BTW, in the latter part the statement says " For the time being, I have
received already the list of name, position, organization, contact
number, and location/email address of around 40 CEOs of various Internet
Business/Civil Society organizations to joint the HLLM, proposed and
sent by ICC Basis officials (Ms. Ayesha Hassan and her staffs). "

Well, it speaks of CEOs of CS (civil society) organisations, but then in
a list that has been sent to them by ICC? Has any civil society
organisation/ network also been approached?

Lets tell them, we dont believe in the CEO thing, and we believe in CS
reps selected by CS networks for such meetings etc...

And if indeed CS persons will be there, we need parity with other groups
in terms of numbers - although, sorry, we cannot donate...

parminder

PS: Looks like confirming the suspicion that when push comes to shove,
MSism tends to become corporate biggies sharing power with governments,
and the rest is basically a charade of minions playing the MS cheering
game...