[governance] Internet as a commons/ public good

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 05:16:00 EDT 2013

Thanks, Jeremy. That's the kind of phenomena I had in mind, some of which I
believed were discussed on this list some time ago. Before FB, there was
some concern that Google search engine was predominantly becoming the sole
entry point to the Web (I'm not making any assertion as to whether that
fear was grounded), and there will probably be other apps or Web services
after FB that will be pointed to for the same problem. So FB was just an
example (as was asked for) of a broader tendency which so far has most of
the time been potential but which may be more qnd more actual.

So Milton, is there a problem for which you think it'd be worthwhile to
make a statement that strikes the balance you're looking for between
private and public aspects of the internet? I'm asking because I think it'd
be good if you can put forward an alternate statement (but I guess you will
only do it if you think it's worth making such statement, that is, if it
serves to address some problem). Also I have been thinking of something to
replace the public good and commons language while still making the point
for the need to keep the plain IP capabilities in sight and as open as they
were initially designed to be while discussing and making policy for IG,
but of course it is not worth my time either if the opposition is total to
the very notion of such statement.

Thanks,

Mawaki