[governance] Internet as a commons/ public good

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Apr 27 13:29:27 EDT 2013

Milton/ All

As as been mentioned a few times earlier, we are not developing a
definition of the Internet. We are making an advocacy statement, whereby
there is an identified context - a recognition of a growing problem in
this regard, and a recommendation about the directions that IG should
therefore take.

You say that the statement of the problem is not true. I believe that
most people here agree with the problem statement  of

“the growing danger for the Internet experience to be reduced to closed
or proprietary online spaces.”

but, well, that can be tested out.

Having stated the problem, the proposed statement seeks that the
"preservation and enhancement of the Internet's global commons and
public good character". Advocacy statement are made in a particular
context (the recognition of a problem here) and have a particular intent
(further evolution of IG to move *more* in a particular direction rather
than the other).

You are proposing that we add to the statement the need to save and
promote its private (property) character as well.

Now, advocacy statements are not made like this. For instance, most
global civil society networks will accept an advocacy statement like "we
should promote the commons character of knowledge". Almost all of them
will scoff at the demand to add to this something like "we do recognise
the need to privatise knowledge to provide enough incentives for its
further creation and so on", while admittedly, there is some truth in
this possible addition. But if you add this, it is not worth making a
statement at all. The purpose which was intended is not served.

Meanwhile, it is possible to make another advocacy statement on the
issue related to the private (property) nature of the Internet, but for
that you will need to frame the problem which you have not yet done.
Please make your case how the private property nature of the Internet is
threatened and what do you think should be done about it. Lets discuss
it here, and if there seems to be good support go to a consensus seeking
process.

Meanwhile, I propose that the coordinators put the current text of the
proposed statement to a consensus seeking process. It will either get
consensus or rough consensus or it will not. and we can get onto to
other things. However, too much energy has been spent by a lot of people
here to just leave it like that. Moreover, the content of the statement
is close to the heart of many of us here and we have the right to know
what the caucus thinks of it.

I think the current text stands as follows (Mawaki/ others, correct me
if I am wrong)

*"We recognise the Internet to be a global, end-to-end, network of
networks comprised of computing devices and processes, and an emergent
and emerging social reality. In that sense, it is an intricate
combination of hardware, software, protocols, and human intentionality
enabling new kinds of social interactions and transactions, brought
together by a common set of design principles. The design principles and
policies that constitute Internet's governance should be derived through
open and transparent, participatory democratic processes involving all
stakeholders.  While such principles and policies strive to ensure
stability, functionality and security of the Internet, they must also
aim at preserving and enhancing the global commons and global public
good character of the Internet, the combination of which has made
danger for the Internet experience to be reduced to closed or
proprietary online spaces, we urge that the governance of the Internet
promote the preservation and enhancement of the Internet's global
commons and public good character. "*

parminder