[governance] RE: On the seriousness of threats (was Re: abuse...)

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 02:51:11 EDT 2013

On 2013/04/27 01:37 AM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> Norbert. Surely you are politically experienced enough to know that small but determined factions often succeed in pushing statements through larger groups, and then use that success to claim that some larger category of actors (e.g., "civil society" or "the CS IGC" or "the people united...") all support their narrow ideology and are forever bound by it. This is the game Parminder is playing, in my opinion.

What do you mean by this "game" Milton? I only ask because I think
process and this fora as a discussion platform is precisely indicated
for what Parminder is trying to do. Persuade. If there are first
principle differences, and these cannot be worked out, then so be it. It
must stand or fail on its merits. But then the default position, given
their inputs and views, likewise would not mean yours necessarily
prevails. Pending your response, it seems at first glance, something
quite normal is cast in an unfairly negative light. Once again, using
that single most important issue, single rooters and CIR as an example,
what Parminder is doing is not more 'unreasonable' (i.e. where civil
society uses reason as its ticket for entry). This is not to say you
can't use labels or put Parminder in a "box" or label or category, but
these sense I get, subject to correction of course, is that the motive
makes Parminder less than credible, as well questions his good standing
as a participant on this list. Now, to be liberal in what I interpret
(as Norbert's email suffix indicates), I presume this is not the case,
so ask for clarity... but provide you with the dominant impression your
mail suggests.