[governance] US House Bill to Affirm the Policy of the United States Regarding Internet Governance

Andrea Glorioso andrea at digitalpolicy.it
Fri Apr 26 11:23:22 EDT 2013

Dear John, dear all,

apologies for the belated reaction - I hope you can remember the context of
our discussion.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 7:27 PM, John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:

> On Apr 17, 2013, at 9:18 AM, Andrea Glorioso <andrea at digitalpolicy.it>
> wrote:
>
> The reason why I'm mentioning the above is not to do some sterile showing
> off (which I'm anyway not entitled to, as I'm not an international law
> scholar or practictioner and there plenty of people more knowledgeable than
> me on these matters) but because it strikes me that the logical passage,
> according to which the ability / legitimacy of a "government" to adopt and
> enforce laws nationally is somehow "lost" when moving to the international
> level or when dealing with cross-border phenomena (of which the Internet is
> one, but certainly not the only example - and I do think that when
> discussing global Internet governance matters we might well keep this in
> mind, to avoid "Internet exceptionalism") is based more on an aspirational
> approach than on the current realities of international law and relations.
>

>  Agreed - I was not actually attempting to alter the current realities of
> international law and
>  relations, but suggesting that the enforcement of one country's public
> policies should not
>  _automatically_ be assumed (i.e. simply because of Internet-based
> communication to
>  those in other countries) to be applicable to the other end of the
> communications.
>  (i.e. no more so then it would be today.)
>
>  That is a statement that actually is not accepted by some when it comes
> to the Internet,
>  in particular those who would put obligations on entities in other
> countries to meet their
>  own policy objectives...

In order to help me better understand, could you provide me with some
examples of "enforcement of one country's public policy [which, in order to
be effective, needs to be applied] to the other end of the communication"
and/or of "obligations on entities in other countries [which are necessary
for countries] to meet their own policy objectives"?

Thanks,

--
I speak only for myself. Sometimes I do not even agree with myself. Keep it
in mind.