[governance] On whistleblowing, mobbing and suppression (was Re: On the seriousness of threats)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Apr 26 08:13:09 EDT 2013

Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:

> But you added a comment that I was in someway extra guilty because
> Michael was performing the function of whistle-blower, obviously a
> sacred role.  As with Milton you added your own interpretation, got
> rather carried away.

In case someone is interested in reading up on why unfriendly remarks
directed towards someone who has just acted as a whistle-blower (in the
broad sense of pointing out that something is going wrong) are much
more problematic than otherwise similar unfriendly remarks in
different contexts (such as e.g. in a long-standing relationship of
people who love to hate each other and who therefore insult each other
occasionally), there is a lot on that in the literature on mobbing.

Here's one quick link:

Brian Martin and Florencia Peña Saint Martin:
  Mobbing and Suppression: Footprints of Their Relationships
Social Medicine, Volume 6, Number 4, May 2012
http://www.socialmedicine.info/socialmedicine/index.php/socialmedicine/article/download/602/1255

Anyway, I think that we have now talked enough about talking, and about
what can go wrong in talking.

Let's get back to substantive discussions on topics that are more
directly and more specifically about taking good care of the Internet.

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Recommendations for effective and contructive participation in IGC:
1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person