[governance] On the seriousness of threats (was Re: abuse...)

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Apr 26 06:27:17 EDT 2013

Norbert

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 7:08 PM, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:
> (this posting is intentionally sent informally, without "coordinator
> hat")
>
> Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
>
>> [Milton L Mueller] Of course, that is what I meant. I made it clear
>> that I will speak up against and challenge any attempt to force
>> through a poorly-crafted statement as a "civil society" position or a
>> position of this caucus.
>
> You are of course the ultimate authority on what you meant, and I am
> personally glad to take note of the implied promise that you will not
> take other action, such as public humiliation or perhaps disruption of
> a young academic's career, if someone should proceed to promote,
> contrary to your desire, something that involves emphasis on public
> good aspects of the Internet as *a* civil society position.

there was no such suggestion in Milton's email.  If you saw such a
message rather than threaten him with a warning you should ask him
what he meant, express your concern.

You are clearly too quick with your hat and your warnings and it's
troubling that you add your own interpretation and opinion.  Your
warning to me (yes, I've been warned...) was over the Michael Gurstein
incident and what I saw as forum/stakeholder shopping to gain a seat
in the CSTD WG (my fault for expressing annoyance that someone would
attempt to manipulate longstanding and well understood process.)  Fair
enough if you thought I had gone to far.  But you added a comment that
I was in someway extra guilty because Michael was performing the
function of whistle-blower, obviously a sacred role.  As with Milton
you added your own interpretation, got rather carried away.

For someone who seems interested in human rights you are very quick to
pass personal judgement and censor.  Could you stop please.

Adam