AW: [governance] The German Federal Internet Commission Report (Der Spiegel)

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Apr 24 04:55:48 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 24 April 2013 01:38 PM, Peter H. Hellmonds wrote:
> Parminder, please check your facts before making such claims:
>
> "For instance, no industry representative here."
>
> I know personally at least two business representatives plus one
> parliamentarian who also runs his own business.

Dear Peter

I went by what a member of the commission, Jeanette, told us. To quote "
50% of its membership consists of members of the parliament and 50% of
experts appointed by the parliamentary factions, depending on their
relative size" . So I really got my facts right here.

It is strange that you consider a parliamentarian who may also run his
own business as an industry representative.  I am sure the concerned
parliamentarian will better like to describe himself as a people's
representative, which is what he is.  I thought stakeholder group
representatives were those whom stakeholder groups expressly put forward
as their representative. But it seems more you venture into the
multistakeholderism world, the less you are clear about it.

You say at least two business representatives other than the
parliamentarian  - who I understand were 'experts' nominated by
political parties. Now that makes them experts nominated by political
parties and not industry representatives, never mind what profession
that may  pursue.

But let me not argue with you. But I can at least hope that you will
apply definitions consistently. I simply ask, would you take a global
commission on the Internet with half the members who are 'experts'
nominated by various political factions in the UN - say, the regional
groups or OECD country, G 77 etc groups  - as a multistakeholder body?

> As to your question:
>
> "Are you now ready to consider inclusion of 'experts' selected by
> politicians as enough to make things multi-stakeholder?"
>
> Probably as much as a selection of stakeholder reps for the IGF MAG by
> the UN 'black box' which has been accepted by participants in the IGF.

So, now IGF MAG is less multi-stakeholder than the German parliamentary
commission. Interesting perspective :).

> I'm sure Wolfgang and Jeanette can say more about the selection
> process in the German national Internet Enquete  Commission.

Jeanette has described the process quite specifically, and it follows
the pattern of parliamentary committees in many democracies. But happy
to hear more details.

parminder