[governance] Internet as a commons/ public good

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Apr 20 10:59:30 EDT 2013

In message <20130420141642.16370658 at quill.bollow.ch>, at 14:16:42 on
Sat, 20 Apr 2013, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> writes
>> "The Internet is a communications medium that allows communications
>> between endpoints with all endpoints being equal in their potential
>> to communicate with all other endpoints."
>
>One may nitpick about details like measures that force consumer PCs to
>send mail via their ISP's mailserver rather than running an MTA that
>will connect directly to port 25 on the recipient's mailserver, but
>apart that kind of thing, this IMO describes one of the meanings of the
>term "Internet" quite well.

I have at least one [mobile] ISP in the UK that will only let me send
SMTP[1] email on port 587, for example.

Should we be concerned at my inequality when it comes to sending SMTP
email *at all* on port 25 (through that ISP)?

http://tinyurl.com/three-port25

[1] I can, of course, send webmail via port 80.
--
Roland Perry