[governance] US House Bill to Affirm the Policy of the United States Regarding Internet Governance

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 12:12:56 EDT 2013

Fwiw, the best part is the disclaimer - healthy doubt :P , :)

I will read these asap.

But to engage.

What would go some ways to ameliorate the concerns of Parminder,
Gurstein, (just to pick on them) etc?

At a high level of abstraction, there is opposition to the bill, perhaps
on political economy terms. Yet at a lower level of abstraction, many
things are possible (setting aside the legitimacy issue - to interrogate
issues). Including transparency; which may be insufficient for others.

We can in parallel continue to debate over reform and radical positions,
principled vs more pragmatic (not implying unprincipled), etc but that
is seperate from these inquiries. Playing in the other pen, so to speak.

What interests me in particular is what "vision" of/for change does this
evoke at the lower level of abstraction? I get it that those intimate
and familiar with the system can see some equation that gives cause for
optimism. As positioned as I am, I cannot really get it because of my
blinkers. If I try harder, what I would be interested in is how
subsequent change (from what will follow this bill) will be dealt with
and regulated. If it includes a broad range of possibilities for
increased CIR internationalisation (different from he McTim and Mueller
vision of internationalisation), or even stated in the negative, that it
does not explicitly preclude such evolution, it may be more palatable.
So, I am interested in the 'laws of motion' based on the institutional
framework you see currently /and /how it can evolve.

And I value your views and this is not some trick etc. It is an attempt
to get a real appreciation of what fecundity there is in the
population/ensemble for dynamism...

Riaz