[governance] US House Bill to Affirm the Policy of the United States Regarding Internet Governance

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Thu Apr 18 11:54:22 EDT 2013

On Apr 18, 2013, at 9:03 AM, Riaz K Tayob <riaz.tayob at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thesis: The Bill is good for IG.
>
> (I am NOT the best person to make the case!!)
>
> It establishes a policy in legislation ensuring MS.
>
> It includes preservation as well as advancement - it incorporates the possibility of future change.

Riaz - I'll try and make the case, but probably not as you expect...

FYI - Two articles about this bill from RollCall (a publication covering US legislative events) -

  <http://www.rollcall.com/news/an_internet_almost_free_from_government_control-224101-1.html>
  <http://www.rollcall.com/news/who_really_runs_the_internet-224102-1.html>

(and one of the articles quotes the esteemed Milton Mueller...)

I believe that fact-based dialogue is generally good, and to the extent that this bill helps everyone
gain a better understanding of the present reality, it is helpful to the cause of Internet Governance.
For those in US government, it has made plain that the multistakeholder model is very important
and should be supported, while also highlighting the unique USG(NTIA)/ ICANN relationship (which
has not been well known or understood by some in the USG.)  For those advocating change in the
Internet Governance framework to one which is "free of government control", the removal of that
phrase is a readily referencable event as evidence of concerns with the present system.

Improved visibility into the present system is a win in any case.

FYI,
/John

Disclaimers:  My views alone.  To the best of my knowledge, this email was prepared in a manner
                    "free of government control"