[governance] [Dewayne-Net] REINHART AND ROGOFF: 'Full Stop,' We Made A Microsoft Excel Blunder In Our Debt Study, And It Makes A Difference

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 02:28:33 EDT 2013

Michael and David

This is tangential, but goes to the important economics edifices of many
public policy arguments.

 From one of many Third Worldist perspectives, there is often deception
in dealing with the rich countries. And it is well known that domination
is easier to manage with 'ideology'. Free trade and neoclassical
economics shapes much of the discourse causing much trouble and
problems. So this is tangential but related.

If anyone is familiar with effectively the family business of the doyens
of economics (Paul Samuelson, Kenneth Arrow and nowadays Larry Summers),
they would know the significant influence they have had in the
profession and on public policy discourse. The interview between the
Chief Economist of the Financial Times (not a radical by any means!)
with Larry Summers which can be found here
<http://ineteconomics.org/video/bretton-woods/larry-summers-and-martin-wolf-new-economic-thinking>
is instructive (it really is worth the time!). As some would have it,
the Queen of the Social Sciences, by his own admission is not very
helpful in real life. In other words, modern scholastics.

In Europe they are going for austerity (pro-cyclical) whereas John
Dewey's American pragmatism rules more in the US with spending (Bernanke
is pushing Congress, but there is little traction) with marked
differences between the performance of these regions. So even Bernanke
is more taking reality more into account, rather than relying on failed
models which cannot account for crisis adequately nor deal with reality
very well (but banks are still allowed to use them for capital adequacy
calculations!).

On the paper, it was one of many of the planks used to argue for
austerity, as David points out. But it was very influential. The reasons
for eccentric formulae for averages and exclusion of New Zealand data
will need to be backed up. So let us see where this goes. Why is it that
we accept self-interest as the guiding force in neoliberal economics,
but exclude economists from this equation? After all, they would  sell
their ideas to the highest bidder - and neoliberal ideas pay. In fact it
is quite consistent. Even the oracle Alan Greenspan said to Congress
that he found a flaw in his theory. If he read outside of his Randian
economists he might have known, but there is confirmation bias here too.
The Oracle was a charlatan.

So I think first principles distinctions between schools of economics is
very important to be differentiated. Mainstream economics says it is a
science based on its physics based methods. That is correct. But its
problem is concordance with reality. When the Queen asked the London
School of Economics
<http://www.britac.ac.uk/news/newsrelease-economy.cfm> why they did not
see the crisis coming they said, /"So where was the problem? Everyone
seemed to be doing their own job properly on its own merit. And
according to standard measures of success, they were often doing it
well. The failure was to see how collectively this added up to a series
of interconnected imbalances over which no single authority had
jurisdiction. This, combined with the psychology of herding and the
mantra of financial and policy gurus, lead to a dangerous recipe.
Individual risks may rightly have been viewed as small, but the risk to
the system as a whole was vast."/ Translation: there is no systemic
understanding.

The problem for scientifically valid observations, as David argues for
and to which I agree, is that a science that starts of from unrealistic
assumptions and deduces what logically should happen without ex post
validation is only one form of knowledge. There are other forms of
knowledge on the economy, like the American Institutionalists, that are
simply marginalized and ignored, primarily because they do not serve the
interests of the large powerful corporations in the US.

So do please engage in these matters as neoliberal type economic views
still hold political sway, but are increasingly becoming untenable
because of the social costs and suffering they impose. The difference
with crises in the South (Mexico, the Tequila crisis, as if they were
drinking too much; Argentina; SEA Asia - spawned crony capitalism) and
the North is how it is dealt with. In the South it is internal factors,
but for the North the tenor of the major finance houses is now systemic
problems.

One would have thought Americans would have taken their cue from Enron,
WorldCom, Tyco, etc *this is not anti-Americanism, btw - happy to be
guided on these formulations! On or offlist!). Or now from the fraud on
foreclosures and lack of regulatory ability to prosecute known crimes.
It is a terrible situation for the 99% and we hope that the more
sensible forces prevail in America otherwise the situation for us
Africans downstream will be terrible.

Riaz